Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake or real

Omar Zamora

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I live in Mexico City and I've had a few Gibson and Epiphone guitars in the past.

I won an auction on ebay and I want to know if it's real or not.

The guy has good feedback so that's why I made the bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230824943863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nonetheless there are a couple of things that concern me. The front of the headstock looks like a Gibson USA but on the back it says Custom Shop. Usually the Custom models have different headstocks.

That's why I want to be sure before paying

Thanks a lot

Cant see anything odd.. ive seen those Gibson Custom Logos on the back before.. The issue number looks about right for a Classic... Its a LP Clasic Quilt top

Yeah looks real.. if you look at this page http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom-Pro/Specs.aspx and look at a picture of the back of the guitar you will see a similar logo. .

And DAMN thats one beautiful guitar..

The only thing is the Headstock repair that well, I just woulndt buy a guitar thats had any kind of neck or head break.. but thats just me.. Also it looks like ist listed with just a gig bag.. These guitars should come with proper hardshell cases.

So yep again, looks kosher to me :) (Im not the biggest expert around so you may want to wait for a few more answers) and that top is something else.. I have a Classic 1960 re-issue and its the best as far as im concerned.. The pickups are the hottest and they just sound and feel amazing. [thumbup]

Happy playing man.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I live in Mexico City and I've had a few Gibson and Epiphone guitars in the past.

I won an auction on ebay and I want to know if it's real or not.

The guy has good feedback so that's why I made the bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230824943863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nonetheless there are a couple of things that concern me. The front of the headstock looks like a Gibson USA but on the back it says Custom Shop. Usually the Custom models have different headstocks.

That's why I want to be sure before paying

Thanks a lot

I have been thinking and now im not 100% sure... I though that the Classics were made by Gibson USA not the Custom shop,but for the quilt top I may be wrong.. So basicly igonore me cos im not that sure :) And I wouldnt want to be giving wrong advice that leaves you with a lemon.

The custom shop logo adds some legitimacy, should have also come with a hardshell (perhaps even a logo'd custom shop) case.

I would also think that there also should be some COA paper work. Beautiful quilted grain on the top.

however, I'd be a little skeeved out about the headstock repair unless I could see it in person, and given the headstock damage, I think the asking price is a bit steep. just my 2cents

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, that's the problem with buying online, specially these rare guitars. I know that the neck is broken, but I loved the top and the looks of the guitar.

It's hard to find these guitars in Mexico. I've bought guitars in Guitar Center when I go there and bring them here, but in Mexico it's only a very limited selection of Les Pauls that get here.

My biggest concern is the authenticity of this one, since it's a different combination from what usually looks at the headstock. I sent the question via Gibson website to Customer Service, so hopefully if they answer I could get a better picture if it's a real one or not.

Thanks again

The guitar looks original to me. The serial number refers in our database also to a Les Paul Classic Premium Plus, Quilt Top, in rootbeer finish, with nickel hardware, made by the Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1995.

The Les Paul Classic Premium Plus was available from 1993-1997 and the Les Paul Classic Quilt top in 1998. That leaves a bit to wonder why this guitar is called Premium Plus Quilt Top. I can't find any additional information though. This guitar would however originally not come with a COA.

Kind regards,

Stijn

Archived