Gibson Brands Forums

Single Coil Guitars

Californiaman

I thoroughly shielded my own Tele a few years ago. It was an excellent move. It is dead quiet now. I recommend it highly. I'm thinking about doing my Strats too - even though they are not as noisy as my Tele was.

Here is an excellent link - the one I followed as a guide in fact.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

Thanks AXE®.

That link sent me on a search at the Fender sight for the N3 Noiseless Telecaster pickups. Those are certainly an option.

Surpup, that's a good link too. I found it a good read.

I also found this and it looks like a pretty simple operation.

Just have to pick up a spool of wire and some copper tape.

Next time a change strings I'm going for it.

It's crazy, my ES-175 does not hum at all. But the '62 Tele Custom sounds like it's not properly grounded at all. As soon as I touch the control plate, it stops buzzing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_UnQbxtV7Y

It's simple yes, but time consuming. Solder all the joints in your copper tape - otherwise the adhesive stops them from connecting well. Make sure you connect all the pickup cavities as well. You are basically creating one big piece of grounded metal. And the edges of that stuff will cut you too, just sayin'.

I used to hate showing up for a gig and seeing neon lights near the stage. You knew you would be hanging on positions 2 and 4 on the Strat all night! [biggrin]

(Fortunately I like positions 2 and 4 on the Strat)

Talking about noise, when I used to go to Rock the Block at the Exit/In there was an Australian session player that used to gig to stay loose, he had a bass player and a drummer and he played guitar and sang.

Well, this dude played a tratocaster straight into a Matchless amp, not mic'ed, and he just ripped, he would tweak the amp knobs during playing. The set up was super nosiy but the guy made it look cool with his playing and un-processed sound.

Tele hum?

I used to sometimes get complaints because of the hum from my Strat...but try some P-90's. That's REAL hum.

I've done the sheilding thing on a number of strats. You CAN make the hum much less in some circustances, but in other places, that sheilded guitar will hum just as much as the unshielded one.

I gave up on it, because I think sheilding too much affects tone. The only real solution that works for me is to turn down between songs, or when not playing. (Position 2 or 4 works too if it has pups for it).

For recorcing, there is (almost) always one spot or direction you can turn the guitar to get dead quiet. THAT is not affected by having a shielded or non-shielded guitar.

It's simple yes, but time consuming. Solder all the joints in your copper tape - otherwise the adhesive stops them from connecting well. Make sure you connect all the pickup cavities as well. You are basically creating one big piece of grounded metal. And the edges of that stuff will cut you too, just sayin'.

I've been cut and it ain't fun so watch out when applying.

I shielded my Les Paul too since I use the JP wiring scheme where the coils are cut - single coils basically.

It's crazy, my ES-175 does not hum at all. But the '62 Tele Custom sounds like it's not properly grounded at all. As soon as I touch the control plate, it stops buzzing.

That right there might be an indication the guitar itself isn't grounded right.

The hum SHOULD go away when you touch the bridge the same way it does when you touch the control plate. If it doesn't, it means the ground to the bridge is not connected properly.

If this is the case, you will need to address that. IF that is enough to satisfy you, you are done and it's fixed. But IF you want to do additional shielding, it would likely get worse if you add sheilding and it isn't being grounded.

Stew mac sells rolls of copper shielding, WITH conductive adhesive.

I did the Jr. a while back, and it helped quiet it down a lot.

Are you saying you shielded a P90 equipped guitar and it helped? I've been thinking about doing this for my SG Classic.

The habit I've gotten into is hitting my tuner between songs to kill the signal and hum. Nels Cline uses his volume pedal.

You CAN make the hum much less in some circustances, but in other places, that sheilded guitar will hum just as much as the unshielded one.

I gave up on it, because I think sheilding too much affects tone.

Yep, a complete shielding any pickup greatly affects the tone. This is because of the so-called short-closed loop that arises from this complete shielding.

You must try that this loop was not closed with around the pickup, ie. that there was a small gap (for example, by the butt of pickup).

Although sometimes this short-closed loop of the shield can make the sound more interesting, for example, in the case of neck pickup.

In the case of Strat (single pickups) it is also important to ground the magnetic cores (all the 6 pieces).

This week I'll try to make pictures of shielding, record of my Strat, and then I'll show you an easy way to shield Strat pickups without the said loop (and so, without affecting the tone) by means of empty cans of beer :) .

Archived