Gibson Brands Forums

what is the smallest gibson acoustic ever made ?

JuanCarlosVejar

• 2 weeks later...

I once had an opportunity to play a 1949 Martin 5-string "Parlour" guitar, and since those 2 companies have always competed against each other (other than banjo's ), I'd bet there was a competing Gibson around that vintage. Search "5-string Parlour/Parlor guitars". It was definitely smaller than a B-25.

I once had an opportunity to play a 1949 Martin 5-string "Parlour" guitar, and since those 2 companies have always competed against each other (other than banjo's ), I'd bet there was a competing Gibson around that vintage. Search "5-string Parlour/Parlor guitars". It was definitely smaller than a B-25.

The LG2-3/4 I mentioned above had a very small body with a correspondingly short scale - much smaller than a standard sized LG2, or the B25 which replaced it (there was also a B25 3/4 to replace the LG2 3/4).

The LG-2 3/4 and the Kalamazoo Sport are more or less the same size - there was also a 3/4 L-00 that was essentially an X braced version of the Sport. The Sport and L-00 3/4 were both made on the same moulds as the first incarnation of the TG-1 tenor guitar. I have a TG-1 next to me as I type and it measures about 12 3/4" across the lower bout, as opposed to 13 1/2" on the L-1 of the time, and it's significantly more slender at the waist and upper bout.

In the company's first few years they also offered different sizes of L-1 archtop, and I used to own an L-1 with a 12" lower bout, slotted headstock and fixed bridge. I can't remember the scale length but it was shorter than the standard L-1.

Well, Em7, I think you've settled that question. Unless, of course, we're looking for the smallest playable guitar or you've got extremely large hands.

It does look like a Gibson headstock. And what, pray tell, is the little wonder made of?

Well, Em7, I think you've settled that question. Unless, of course, we're looking for the smallest playable guitar or you've got extremely large hands.

It does look like a Gibson headstock. And what, pray tell, is the little wonder made of?

I don't know, looks like one of those Chinese fakes to me.

Although it looks more like the real thing than some of the ones on Ebay...

Archived