Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 490's cranking out some metal.

outforblood

Here's my bands demo. I am playing a stock 2001 Gibson SG Gothic though a stock 5150 head and VHT cab. I run a Hardwire DL8 in the effects loop for leads/solos. I think the tone of the 490t is pretty damn good for oldschool thrash/hardcore. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Architects-of-Doom/212415435458254?sk=app_178091127385

I've always been an advocate of the 490T because of its mids boost, top end bite and also its ability to take whatever gain you can throw at it. The 5150 is a pretty good test of that. It's still a PAF but just with a modern take- 4 conductor wires, wax potted and even windings. It does great cleans and blues too!

Great playing, BTW. I loved all the graduated timing changes in particular. I like '80s thrash but the death metal vocal style isn't my bag personally.

• 3 weeks later...

The 490's are my favorite humbuckers, period. I have them on my '99 SG Special, my 2002 LP Special and a set installed in my 2010 Epiphone Dot...they are GREAT rock & roll pups, no matter what style of r & r, and they are also great blues and even jazz pickups. You can vasty change their sound by adjusting the pole pieces and pup height...they are VERY responsive and sound just fine to me in every guitar I have them in.

Mark

Archived