Gibson Brands Forums

Epi ES-339 Pro Strings, coated or not?

lblack

I have received as a 'door prize' contest drawing two packs of DR strings -- one 'DR Pure Blues Pure Nickel', Electric and the other 'DR Extra Life Black Beauties'. Both are 10 - 46. I have had my Epiphone ES-339 Pro for a few months, and while I like the sound from the factory strings, I am going to do my own setup with new strings on my Epiphone ES-339 Pro. I have not used coated strings before so I am considering using the Black Beauties. Anyone know any pros or cons to using the coated strings? Will the strings change the sound of my guitar? Or, would the Pure Blues strings be a better choice?

That, my friend is the basis for many many discusssions. [biggrin]

In my opinion, and many will differ, coated strings dull the tone.

I play quite often, and my strings go dead about every 2 weeks. In a quest to get longer string life, I've tried several brands of coated strings, and haven't liked the tone I get from them.

I just changed the strings on my ES-339 PRO this morning, used Ernie Ball 2221, 10-46, a big step up from the factory strings that were on there, much cleaner, and clearer tone. I also set the action just above the norm with a slight forward bow and it sounds great! I went from a Epip Flying V which had a very low action, and this will take some getting use to, but i find that i can bend better with the action a little higher. I play mostly blues and country though, i would like to know what a set of 9's would do and sound like on the 339, i had the super slinky's on the V and loved them, but afraid the 9's might be too light for the 339. Let us know what you put on and how the worked and sounded. Good luck.

I tried the black coated strings, for a day. It did change the sound, somewhat darker. And, with my dark fretboard I could not see the strings! I put the DR Pure Blues / Pure Nickel strings on instead.

Archived