Gibson Brands Forums

Fell Off The Wagon - NGD

retrosurfer1959

Dang Gibson and mother nature conspired against me this time to make me weak enough to buy another new Gibson - I had been good really good, I hadn't bought a new guitar in just over two years. I'd been selling them had the number down to 59, a number with some class so I figured I couldn't beat that number. But were driving down the freeway me and my wife when we see a Haboob headed straight for us. For those that don't know a Haboob is an unbelievably large dust storm literally a wall of blowing dust thousand of feet sometimes as much as a mile high that roll through bringing visibility to mere feet. They typically happen in only a few area's on earth mostly the Sahara desert, smaller one in Australia and the monster size ones that hit phoenix usually one or twice a year. You don't want to be outside in one and you sure don't want to be on a arizona freeway doing 80 MPH when you can't see your hood ornament. Well we tried to estimate where we were at and how fast it was headed in an realized we couldn't beat it home. so we raced to mile and hit a exit getting off the freeway and heading quickly to the Scottsdale Guitar Center I needed some strings and a threaded adapter for a microphone stand. We hit the door about 3 minutes before the storm hit and wandered around for a few minutes looking at everything. And then one of the guy's that manages the guitar area and Ive known for a quite a while said hey we just unboxed a gold top 70's tribute with the Mini-Humbuckers on it you played one yet? I just said no nice spec but a new Gibson wit, A Studio, a guitar that comes with a gig bag and a baked maple fretboard. How many strikes does a guitar get? He just laughed and said. It's perfect in every way nicest paint Ive seen on one yet, The gold top is amazing on a studio and it has the dark back you like so who need binding, you have more case in your studio than we do in the back, why would you want another one plus your wife hates the cases anyway and the baked maple feels like butter on this one and even without oil it's darker than most rosewood we get now plus it has mini hum buckers that I know you love. He just hand me a cable a few picks and points to the vault when I walk in and he hands me the gold top studio. I played it for about thirty or forty minutes threw 3-4 amps. My wife if watching and listening to me lay and starts flipping through the case candy and paperwork and hit the new info sheet and checklist does a double take and show's me the card was made on 6-13-2012 which just happens to be her birthday. needless to say about ten minus later the storm and blown over and we got in our car and left with the 70's studio in the backseat.

Now if the pool guy can get the two inches of dust out of the bottom of the pool will be fine.

And I know no pictures and it didn't happen so here ya go!

The Haboob rolling in

IMG_2552.jpg

Just about to hit gotta get off the street

IMG_2556.jpg

Only minutes to hide

IMG_2558.jpg

The final result - a new my new 1970's Studio Tribute Gold Top

IMG_2568.jpg

2 woawww!!!

1st one for the storm, very nice pictures, and this should be very scary, isn't it? In Europe at least in Belgium where I live, we don't have this kind of natural phenomena;

2nd one, very nice guitar, sounds like you had some 'préjugé' but finally felt in love with it

Congrat

Thanks yeah there a weird storm mostly happen in the sahara desert and in Phoenix. Not overly dangerous if your smart enough to just run and hide. The real danger is visibility literally drops to feet so driving is a very bad idea. Heavy rains and major lightning usually follow so it's a double whammy several inches of the finest dust you can imagine and then massive rain so basically it's like a mudslide on flat ground [scared]

Yeah the guitar won me over and is pretty nice and with all my high end custom shop guitars to be buying a Studio in a gig bag kind of explains how good it sounds.

Thanks yeah there a weird storm mostly happen in the sahara desert and in Phoenix. Not overly dangerous if your smart enough to just run and hide. The real danger is visibility literally drops to feet so driving is a very bad idea. Heavy rains and major lightning usually follow so it's a double whammy several inches of the finest dust you can imagine and then massive rain so basically it's like a mudslide on flat ground [scared]

Yeah the guitar won me over and is pretty nice and with all my high end custom shop guitars to be buying a Studio in a gig bag kind of explains how good it sounds.

With your collection, that's a great tribute to the guitar that you felt it should join them. A sure sign Gibson has another winner (the 50s, 60s and 70s Tributes were all really well done, value packed amazing guitars IMO).

WRT the storm, that looks a lot like pictures of sand storms I've seen in the Middle East. Was in Baghdad for a bit under 6 months 5 years back, managed to just miss the sand storms (one before my arrival, another shortly after my departure) but saw the aftermath of them. The sand there is about the consistency of talcum powder, and even without the storms, it just gets into everything. Even inside our trailers, you'd clean them, but the window style air conditioner would re-introduce it back inside and there'd be a film of it everywhere. When we got there, even the insides of cabinets and drawers had a fine bit of it from the preceding sand storm.

First and only time I have been in Phoenix I experienced one of those storms,

I am curious to try these 70's tributes to see what the neck profile is all about, based on the description I can't get an idea.

Hope you don't mind! Just had to enhance it!

1eefcdbb.jpg

Love to see weather like that!

That's a great enhancement and almost exactly what they look like when they role in later in the afternoon or just at dusk. last year we had one that made the news Internationally even I guess as I had friends from everywhere calling to see if we survived it. [lol] the one last year was the biggest I'd ever seen it was over a mile high and something like 11 miles wide and it rolled in just before dusk so if you took your enhanced drawing and filled the storm front with lightning it was close. It actually looked like the end of the whorl was rolling in on us.

The dust here is horrible and it does get into everything they actually package it and sell it to companies to test their equipment and filters etc. They also bring allot of the military going to Bagdad or Afganistahn here to train in the stuff I guess were as close to their deserts as it gets. I'll try to find pictures of the 2011 Haboob but the internet is probably full of them.

and as for the dust yeah it's tough to clean up because like I said it rains really hard right behind the storms so they cos everything with mud. I spent 2 hours washing off a house I have for sale right now and the pool guy was there even longer trying to get the pool clean. we wanted it to look nice because the market is wacky right now and i already have five offers on the home so wednesday were doing a best and final offer deal where everybody puts in there best offer and we can figure out who get's the house.

i already have five offers on the home so wednesday were doing a best and final offer deal where everybody puts in there best offer and we can figure out who get's the house.

That sounds exciting!

Really, I do wish you guys tons of success.

Five offers should weed out those who are not serious.

I'll bet it goes for more close to what you're asking for it.

Good luck.

Archived