Gibson Brands Forums

Will Gibson "plec" a new unplecked guitar for you ?

crust

Guest farnsbarns

PLEK is overrated.

A good pro fret dress IMO does a better Job.

PLEK machines are in existence all over the globe now!

It's about £140 for it here!

And the prize goes to Simon. Couldn't agree more.

Funny thing is people buy into the idea that hand made and crafted guitars are good, and rightly so imo, but somehow, through clever marketing, people have been convinced that a machine fret dress, nut shape and setup is good. Plek machinesare clever and the results are consistent but I still believe a good luthier is better.

I have an issue with machines that set up a guitar, then grind the frets for that exact setting, scenario, atmospheric condition, etc., and then bless it as perfect. What happens when the sun goes behind a cloud? I may be a perfectionist when it comes to installing and levelling frets but...

I have owned many guitars in my 50 years of playing and the guitars that I have owned or played that have been plecked are way better than guitars that have not had it done. I agree that a good luthier may do better but out of the box a plecked guitar plays extremely well. My HD28V I have not needed to do a thing to. The action at the 12th fret is less than 3/32" (5/64") again right out of the box and the nut is one of the few acoustic guitars that is cut perfecty.

I have a '57 Reissue Strat which was pretty much Fenders top of the line when I bought it was purchased before pleck existed. It played well for sure but needed some tweaking. A recent plecked Tele is a dream right out of the box.

Can a top notch luthier do better? For sure, partly because he will set up and dress the frets to your playing style.

I think plecking is a great innovation.

Plec was designed to save time and not to be better than hand crafted work done by a qualified luthier. The process allowed a larger volume of guitars to be set up close to a craftsman's work in a faster time. It was not meant to replace the precision work you can get from the hands of a professional.

I have owned many Gibson Guitars. I have never bought one that could not be made to play better by having a good luthier fine tune it and set it up for me.

Archived