Gibson Brands Forums

Question for the more fastidious dressers amonst us. Dare I say the Metrosexuals?

TommyK

I don't normally wear ties to work during the summer months, but fall is just around the corner, so I was sorting through my ties. Some I tossed, some I kept. About a dozen needed cleaning.

So, I tossed them in the sink with a mild detergent made for sink washing of clothes. I whooshed them in the soapy water, then drained and re-filled with clean water twice. After rinsing, I draped them over a clothes line to dry. Most come out beautiful. However, 3 or 4 have lost their shape. They just hang like fabric tubes. These are all silk. Most of my silk ties that I washed came out fine. But a couple of my favorites won't lay flat. Dare I iron them?

Guest farnsbarns

I am currently doing some work for a high end mens fashion supplier, its all business like, city slickers and country gent type stuff. The two owners (amusingly called Deryk and Clive) are real experts at all things related to clothing. I've pinged of an email and will have an answer for you soon.

I feel you. "Dry clean only" is a tag I usually read after I have washed it.

You CAN iron silk, but use the LOWEST setting first and watch it- you can scorch silk pretty easy. Once you burn it or give it that glaze look, it's all over.

There is some silk that just won't recover once it get wet and washed, so while pressing helps, it won't be the same. And keep in mind that some silk fabrics will not keep it's strenght once it has been washed and pressed.

I am waiting to hear from Farn's peeps.

I used to wear ties a lot. A whole lot. In fact, just for sentimental reasons I still have one I got in Cambridge, Mass., circa 1962. Yeah, 50 years ago in Harvard Square at the height of the folkie thing. <sigh>

Anyway, it's my observation that one likely is best dumping the things when they're gotten gravy or spaghetti sauce on them. They never seem to me to be worth beans after any sort of cleaning regardless of quality.

Suits and ties... Sheesh. How the world has changed. I used to wear 'em all the time. Even different cuts to wear with or without boots in case I hadda look more city or could be more comfortable.

I have a picture of an informal street rodeo here where all but the bronc rider are wearing suits and ties, including the guy functioning as a pickup man. That was around a century ago. You always could put your chaps on over the trowsers, (spelling intentional on that, btw) and a slicker or duster or buffalo coat on top, too, depending on weather.

<sigh> What a different world. Now except for when he's in court, the attorney next door who's an acknowledged international expert on mineral law, wears jeans in the office. Normally I'm in jeans and boots at work.

m

Guest farnsbarns

Clive said...

Call me tomorrow for instructions that may help!

It's late here and he obviously didn't want to type a long message, I'll bell him tomorrow.

Guest farnsbarns

I don't know what a Metrosexual is, and I hope to hell I'm not one. The name does not sound like something I want to be known as..lol......Anyway, I'm a jeans and tee-shirt guy. Blue jeans, black jeans, Cash shirts, bulldog shirts, bear shirts.

I've inspected your avatar and I'm fairly convinced you're not a metrosexual. I am fastideous about not being fashionable so coming from me, that's a compliment.

I wore a suit and tie most of my adult life. As you have now found out silk ties can't be washed like that if there valuable ties the them to a reputable dry cleaner that has a tailor preferably that knows how to steam press and starch clothes properly. some of them might be savable but ties are usually pressed and starched into shape and depend on those razor creases to hold there shape. Many ties are ruined by washing because not only have you taken the starch out of the fabric you have also let the fabric stretch and twist out of shape. Most of your ties are likely dry cleaning only a few probably should be spot cleaned and brushed only some including many raw silk are ruined by water when the strands shrink and stretch as they will when wet some as you fond out just become shapeless tubes of material. I once ruined a 300 dollar tie by dunking about six inches of it into a sink at a airport after a long flight I was only half away and was washing my face trying to wake up and looked down realizing I had forgotten to either tuck my tie into my shirt or flip it back over my shoulder.

That's the best part of retiring from the corporate world, No more suits and tie's, no more uncomfortable too tight polished dress shoes , and no paying for a haircut every three weeks. and no hiding tattoo's under thick t-shirts under a dress shirt. Now I usually wear levi's or even levi shorts and either a 3 button t-shirt or a sweeter or sweatshirt depending on where we are at I only kept two suits a lighter summer cut and a nice wool for winter and I wear them once maybe twice a year.

From what I understand a Metrosexual is a guy who primps a lot... He plucks his eyebrows, keeps his hair very net and well styled, might color his hair or even use some make up. Dressing well, as in suite and tie or in fashen, doesn't make you anything but well dressed...

80's hair bands were Metrosexual but the word wasn't invented yet... Has nothing to do with sexual prefrence.

From what I understand a Metrosexual is a guy who primps a lot... He plucks his eyebrows, keeps his hair very net and well styled, might color his hair or even use some make up. Dressing well, as in suite and tie or in fashen, doesn't make you anything but well dressed...

80's hair bands were Metrosexual but the word wasn't invented yet... Has nothing to do with sexual prefrence.

In my younger days, having many affectations of the female persuasion, with regards to dress and primping, not of the homosexual variety, but close, was called a 'Dandy'.

Dressing nice is one thing. Being obsessed with coordinating, having a coiffured hair do, meticulously manicured nails and plucked eyebrows, is quite another thing. But, Dandies do know a lot about fabrics and care of men's clothing.

Many thanks for the tips. I await Clive's input. For what it costs to have a tie cleaned and pressed, I figured I'm not out much. I've never paid more than $5 for a tie. Some are even thrift store purchases for about a buck. I always wash thrift store buys before wearing. I have one tie that is so old that, because I liked it so much, I kept it even after it went out of style. Not that it's back in style, I wear it and even get compliments on it. It's so old that the inner liner has worn away to almost nothing, but the 'good' side still looks great.

I have a friend who is like that. VERY fashion aware. Owns lots of clothes, takes extra care with his hair and accessories. I asked him, "Why do you pay so much attention to clothes and shoes?" He said, "Because the ladies do. They know what's 'in', what brand names are hot. This sets me apart from the average guy and improves my odds."

I said, "Yea, a guitar will do that too." [thumbup]

When did the word "sexual" become part of describing someone's fashion inclinations? I guess we now typically discribe a lot of people with "sexual" attached to it. We're not just people who play guitars anymore or people who wear different clothes..........Interesting thread.

IMO the word 'sexual' has been misused more and more in recent years

In a vain attempt by the cheap media and Top Gear to make subjects appear more interesting than they actually are

Politicians are required to 'sex up' a boring subject for debate to minimise the risk of other MP's falling asleep during discussion

From what I gather, the term 'metrosexual' (by implication a city dweller) is epitomised by the likes of David Beckham

A fashion savvy, hair bold kind of guy...sensitive to his feminine side...masculine yet non-macho

Good front man for face cream and deodorant advertising [biggrin]

Not even fazed by the possession of a squeaky voice... :blink:

V

:-({|=

... VERY fashion aware. Owns lots of clothes, takes extra care with his hair and accessories. ... He said, "Because the ladies do. They know what's 'in', what brand names are hot. This sets me apart from the average guy and improves my odds."

I said, "Yea, a guitar will do that too." [thumbup]

In my not so humble opinion, I think he's vying for "friend" status with the ladies.

Take me as I am, ball cap, Lee® jeans, yoke back shirt, and dirt under my fingernails. If not, move on.

Guest farnsbarns

Right, the all knowing Clive has spoken.

Firstly, the liner has possibly twisted, take a knitting needle, or anything similar (chopstick maybe) and push it up the inside and use it to make sure the liner is straight.

Next, take a coat hanger and squash it a bit so it can be inserted up the inside but so that is pushes out against the edges.

Now hold the whole thing in the steam from your kettle for a while and it will fall back into shape.

The squashing of the coat hanger needs to be done in such a way that it pushes nice and evenly on the inside of the tie. You will need to adjust the shape to do the other end. You can do the middle by bunching some up so doing the middle first might be advisable.

Apparently, DON'T iron it, the creases should be slightly rounded and you won't get that with an iron.

In my not so humble opinion, I think he's vying for "friend" status with the ladies.

Take me as I am, ball cap, Lee® jeans, yoke back shirt, and dirt under my fingernails. If not, move on.

If I didn't personally know the guy, I'd tend to agree with you. But he is always impeccably dressed (Think 'Barney' from 'How I Met Your Mother') and I've seen the women he dates. He is definately not parking in the 'friend zone'. [flapper]

As a single guy about to turn 40 who is definitely on the prowl, I can tell you that women definitely notice when I dress nicely. It's not so much that you dress more formally, but you have to stand out amongst the guys who are angling for the same thing that you are: the good-looking woman across the room.

The best fashion fortune I have had is when a gay couple moved in across the street. They basically pick my clothes, coordinate outfits, and otherwise give me fashion advice. When I first started taking their advice, I was worried I would look, you know, gay. But on the contrary, it was the ladies who noticed, and I get lots of compliments. If that means being metrosexual, so be it.

To the question at hand, I have ironed ties, but only on the lowest possible setting. Ironing through a towel will work too.

Right, the all knowing Clive has spoken.

Firstly, the liner has possibly twisted, take a knitting needle, or anything similar (chopstick maybe) and push it up the inside and use it to make sure the liner is straight.

Next, take a coat hanger and squash it a bit so it can be inserted up the inside but so that is pushes out against the edges.

Now hold the whole thing in the steam from your kettle for a while and it will fall back into shape.

The squashing of the coat hanger needs to be done in such a way that it pushes nice and evenly on the inside of the tie. You will need to adjust the shape to do the other end. You can do the middle by bunching some up so doing the middle first might be advisable.

Apparently, DON'T iron it, the creases should be slightly rounded and you won't get that with an iron.

In an effort to expedite cleaning of a dozen or so ties, I put them all in the sink at once, agitating them with my hands, gently swooshing back and forth. Same with the two rinse 'cycles'. This is probably where the innards got twisted. I'll have to do these one at a time next time.

I will try the coat hanger trick. Yes, some of the ties had to have their liners untwisted. There might be a twist up inside I've missed. The trick will be finding a wire coat hanger. Most of ours are of the plastic or wooden variety.

Guest farnsbarns

In an effort to expedite cleaning of a dozen or so ties, I put them all in the sink at once, agitating them with my hands, gently swooshing back and forth. Same with the two rinse 'cycles'. This is probably where the innards got twisted. I'll have to do these one at a time next time.

I will try the coat hanger trick. Yes, some of the ties had to have their liners untwisted. There might be a twist up inside I've missed. The trick will be finding a wire coat hanger. Most of ours are of the plastic or wooden variety.

He did say you can use a knitting needle (or any round rod) for the creases too but you'll have to do each side separately.

Archived