Gibson Brands Forums

Hello and help me identify this J200

MrElliot

Hello all

My first post here. Seems like a good forum :)

I am trying to identify the specific model of a SJ 200 I picked up.

I got it from a buddy who seemed to think it was a gold montana. I am sure it isn't. He is not a guitar head as such, he is a working full time musician who sees guitars as tools.

Anyway, I have trolled the internet looking at pics but I can't nail down which one this is....standard, vintage....not sure. I am new to Gibson acoustics so it is all a mystery to me.

It also has an LR Baggs Pickup in it.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

I am trying to identify the specific model of a SJ 200 I picked up.

It's what is now called an SJ-200 Standard, but it was called a J-200 Modern Classic at the time it was built.

-- Bob R

Thanks Bob.

Is the LR Baggs pickup a standard thing or was it some sort of option?

Were these guitars highly regarded?

I really like it. I have a Martin that I kinda don't like anymore.....the J200 is a lot nicer to play and sounds a lot better IMO.

As you probably know it has maple back'n'sides and a spruce top. A good combo – spruce being the most common top wood and maple known for its bright yet soft, some would say creamy voice.

The tuners show us it's a Standard, , , otherwise they would have been f.x. tulips, which many regard as the 'right' mechanics for this model. Don't think too much about that - those Grovers are fine, , , , for a beginner hehe he. . .

Eeeeh, you might need a truss rod cover – as you see there's an open gab to the metal stick goin' down the neck (a stabilizer). You could either get an ordinary one or 'go personal' (which mean finding the exact shield that represents your taste and the guitars personality – or is it the other way around). Search the Bay under truss rod covers, there is an ocean, but they need to have the right measures.

Or never mind – this is a legendary guitar and you are a lucky man.

If you want to know year of birth try to find the serial-code on the web and work from the # on the white label inside the box.

Good luck with it all and don't hesitate to ask further Q's.

Is the LR Baggs pickup a standard thing or was it some sort of option?

Were these guitars highly regarded?

The pickup is standard equipment.

They're certainly highly regarded by me!

-- Bob R

Thanks Fellas.

Yes I do feel lucky. Here in Australia they are not super common. Martins, matons, Taks and Taylors are the mainstays for higher end mainstream acoustics.

Trouble is its almost too nice to take out and gig with (I do mainly beerbarn punter gigs) but I might take it out for gigs that are more low key.

Again, I really appreciate the information.

Nice to have another Aussie joining the forum, together with Flatbaroque, Bluesmaster and myself. Which part of Oz are you from mate ?

Thanks Fellas.

Yes I do feel lucky. Here in Australia they are not super common. Martins, matons, Taks and Taylors are the mainstays for higher end mainstream acoustics.

Trouble is its almost too nice to take out and gig with (I do mainly beerbarn punter gigs) but I might take it out for gigs that are more low key.

Again, I really appreciate the information.

Archived