Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Victory bass reissue?

Taylor

since Gibson has recently reissued a good amount of their old bass(Ripper, Grabber, and the new Krist RD) i was thinking about how awesome it would be if they did a Victory reissue! especially if they did the Victory Artist! I'd send my bass for them to copy the electronics out of in a heartbeat(given that I could receive the first of the reissue :P) anyway just thought I'd see what others would think of this

what updates would you suggest? perhaps a set neck? I would think that Moog owns the copyright to the active electronics and therefore Gibson would have to license the use of it and that may not be cost effective, remember Gibson and Moog were both owned by the same parent company when the artist was created, what pickups would they use? Gibson doesn't produce the VIIB pickup anymore.BTW that is a Tim Shaw pickup.

I would like to see a Victory Artist reissue but I wonder if it would be at a price point that would be affordable.

I honestly don't know of any updates I'd like. I know they've gone away from using ebony in their fingerboards but wouldn't mind seeing that option. and either a set neck or neck-thru would be awesome. as for the electronics, it'd be incredible if Moog and Gibson teamed up again(even though they aren't part of the same parent company anywhere)to help get both companies further out in the bass instrument market. I'd like to think that Gibson has some capable pickup makers or would be able to find someone who would be able to make some similar or even the exact same(if it isn't patented which i doubt it wouldn't be). I think if they did do a Victory Artist reissue it'd be pretty pricey... I wonder if being in the "Gibson Custom Club" would allow you to get them to make one because I've heard they'll make you whatever you want, for the right price of course....

Of course, for the right amount Gibson will definitely build you anything you want - at todays prices for a custom "handmade" instrument (basically a one off). Why go through all that trouble. You'd easily be into Alembic (to name one brand) price territory - you may as well get one of those.

There are still plenty of originals around, and though their price point is slowly rising they can still be had for a relatively reasonable amount. There will always be people playing them. I looked at one myself but didn't care for the feel of it. A nice bass though.

But one thing is certain - Gibson has done some very bizarre things with their product line over the years. One day this very model could come up for discussion.

• 4 months later...

Archived