Gibson Brands Forums

Should I give in to the desire ???

JuanCarlosVejar

I've bought some Gibsons and sold two this year. Played and had the chance to play a lot and didn't buy. It has been my retirement hobby. The JB is the only guitar that I let pass and now regret the decision ..... buy it JC.

I've bought several Gibsons and sold two this year. Played and had the chance to play a lot and didn't buy. It had been my retirement hobby. The JB is the only guitar that I let pass and now regret the decision ..... buy it JC.

I seem to be buying guitars, but I never get around to selling any.

Buy it, JC. Life is short, and you're young enough to get a lifetime of pleasure out of that JB.

no

don't buy it,

don't think about,

don't even whisper the words "new JB acoustic"

avoid it all all costs..

now,

ignore everything in this post, and proceed to checkout, knowing that "you debated it, and based on careful consideration..."

(dude you do realize you're coming to the wrong place to be swayed FROM buying a new guitar right?) [drool]

no

don't buy it,

don't think about,

don't even whisper the words "new JB acoustic"

avoid it all all costs..

now,

ignore everything in this post, and proceed to checkout, knowing that "you debated it, and based on careful consideration..."

(dude you do realize you're coming to the wrong place to be swayed FROM buying a new guitar right?) [drool]

yeah I do realize that lol ... but I'm kinda wondering if the deeper body is something the JB owners hear are bothered by or love .

that is my maine concern =D.

JC

!...But you haven't even got the J200 38' Reissue yet.

What you are hearing here is a good recording set up...(and a guy with a horrible accent. : )

Wait till you recieve the guitar you've ordered..you've ordered Gibsons ultimate..then go for a try out with your best in hand.

Its not easy to restrain but anyday now that thing is gonna arrive & when you compare it to the J45, you may not like it as much as what you have.

In the mid 70's or maybe as late as 78'..I walked into to Syvestants Music on 48th Steey NYC & got ripped off with a damaged early 1960's Dove piece of junk..for $297 .

Across the street at We Buy Guitars was hanging in the window a 1960 Sunburst..no flame .. Gibson Les Paul Standard for $600.

I should have given a deposit & paid it off even if it took years to do .

I loved Jimmy Page back then but Keith Richards won out..big mistake.

P.S. if that bulky J200 body is not in your way this unlikely will either.

!...But you haven't even got the J200 38' Reissue yet.

What you are hearing here is a good recording set up...(and a guy with a horrible accent. : )

Wait till you recieve the guitar you've ordered..you've ordered Gibsons ultimate..then go for a try out with your best in hand.

Its not easy to restrain but anyday now that thing is gonna arrive & when you compare it to the J45, you may not like it as much as what you have.

In the mid 70's or maybe as late as 78'..I walked into to Syvestants Music on 48th Steey NYC & got ripped off with a damaged early 1960's Dove piece of junk..for $297 .

Across the street at We Buy Guitars was hanging in the window a 1960 Sunburst..no flame .. Gibson Les Paul Standard for $600.

I should have given a deposit & paid it off even if it took years to do .

I loved Jimmy Page back then but Keith Richards won out..big mistake.

P.S. if that bulky J200 body is not in your way this unlikely will either.

NIck ,

yeah It's just a thought at the moment . just trying to find out more about the deeper body .

thank you for the input =D

JC

In my humble opinion, the guy does a great job playing that song (voice leaves a lot to be desired and the song is hard as hell to play-I've been working on it for 3 weeks and ain't close). I saw Browne play live two Sundays ago at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center. Man, what a show. He had about fifteen acoustics on stage and played just about all of them. At one point, he pulled out the vintage Roy Smeck and hit the opening riff to Something Fine and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - the sound was soooo sweet! Later on he picked up the Gibson JB model and did These Days. That guitar sounded almost as good as the Smeck.

I've played three of the Gibson JB guitars and all played and sounded great (started my new company a year ago and don't have any disposable cash or one would be in my stable). I respectfully disagree with the folks that compare this guitar to a J-45. They don't sound or play even remotely the same. I will buy one of these as soon as I can.

Hope ya'll enjoy this (I believe its been posted here before):

Best,

LCB

JC

I was concerned about the deeper body and the 1.8" nut width, but with nothing to compare it to, and certainly no way to "test drive" a lefty, I bought mine on faith. I can honestly say the JB is the most comfortable, easy-playing acoustic I have ever owned or touched. It melts in my arms. The first night I owned it, it already felt like an old friend. I would be surprised if the other JB owners didn't feel the same. It is a magical guitar.

As to the video you posted, I would say that is a very good exemplar of what the JB sounds like, at least fingerpicked. It can get aggressive with a flatpick, and loves the blues. Nice for Neil Young-type muted strumming too. In fact, I cannot envision too many styles this guitar would not excel at...probably not your first choice for a blazing bluegrass solo guitar.

If you can find one without getting gouged on the price, I say buy it and never look back.

I would say Yes! If you can afford it and swing a deal. [thumbup]

It is better to enjoy life with something than to look back in regret years from now and wonder 'What If'

I saved up for a used Hummingbird. A '63' that I bought in 1973 & never looked back in regret. Pure Joy in all the years I've had My 'Bessie' and would not change a thing.

Life is to short to do without a Dream Gibson when it can "Happen for You"

"Enjoy That Gibson!" [biggrin]

The clip in post 1 sounds tremendous. This might be too big a guitar for me, but how I'd like to try one.

If you are tempted stay aware – does it continue into September, there's no way around it and you should move.

English walnut, , , , wasn't there other back'n'side options at some point and what's the deal with walnut ??

English walnut, , , , wasn't there other back'n'side options at some point and what's the deal with walnut ??

Jackson Browne played an active role in the design of this guitar, and he insisted on English Walnut, which I guess is a sustainable wood, or whatever you call it. Its an ecological thing. Having owned mine for almost a year, I absolutely love the English Walnut/Adirondack combination. I think every aspect of the guitar as designed adds up to the perfect piece. The final product is greater than the sum of its parts?

At any rate, I'm not aware that there are any options/choices, apart from whether or not to have the Trance Audio Amulet System installed. THAT is an issue, in that Gibson charges roughly $1800 (MSRP) for a pickup system that you can purchase directly from Trance Audio for under $500. The kicker is the installation, and I guess Gibson knows they have you by the short hairs there. It is hard to find anyone with experience installing these pickups, and at $500, you kinda hate to mess up the installation or damage one of the transducers. But when you find a qualified luthier/repairman, the cost of the installation shouldn't run more than $200. So $1800 is pretty steep.

That being said, IMHO the Trance Audio system is the best acoustic amplification set-up available.

Hey JC...have you run across another lefty, or are you contemplating ordering one from Gibson?

Archived