Gibson Brands Forums

R7 weird buzzing :(

mkm

Hi there,

New member here and I hope for your help to solve my problem...

I have an R7 and after doing some changes such as pickup rings, pickguard, topwrap etc the guitar is buzzing almost everywhere but it gets really loud after the 10th fret approx. on the heavy E and A string.

I have checked everything on the guitar and nothing is loose.

Also there is no action issue since this happens also with a VERY high action.

The weird thing is that the buzzing happens even at fret 22! and the buzzing sound changes according to the fret pressed. It follows the pitch.

I have checked if the strings are touching anywhere but they are not...

I have even changed the orientation of the bridge so that the screws are on the side of the tailpiece....same buzzing

I am trying to find the source of the buzz sound but it is like...everywhere

I can hear it at the neck, the pickups and the bridge with the same volume...

Also, you cannot listen the buzzing through the amp.

Check the video. The sound is bad but if you put it loud you will listen to it.

Any ideas?

My personal observation is you're chasing a red herring. I notice in your video you are pulling on the strings relatively hard. This is going to cause abnormal string vibrations, and you'll probably never NOT get something to sound off from that.

I suggest you put your guitar back together, set the action to factory specs, set intonation and neck relief then play it as you would "normally" play. All guitars are going to buzz some where at some point based on how heavy your playing style, and if your pulling at the strings the way you were in your video it's just going to happen every time. If you don't know how to do a proper set up look for some one who can and pay them.

My personal observation is you're chasing a red herring. I notice in your video you are pulling on the strings relatively hard. This is going to cause abnormal string vibrations, and you'll probably never NOT get something to sound off from that.

I suggest you put your guitar back together, set the action to factory specs, set intonation and neck relief then play it as you would "normally" play. All guitars are going to buzz some where at some point based on how heavy your playing style, and if your pulling at the strings the way you were in your video it's just going to happen every time. If you don't know how to do a proper set up look for some one who can and pay them.

I am picking hard just to make it clear for the video. It exists even with light picking and even at the 22th fret with everything removed!!! Is that a proper setup issue?

I am picking hard just to make it clear for the video. It exists even with light picking and even at the 22th fret with everything removed!!! Is that a proper setup issue?

no, doesn't make sense. The video doesn't really help for me, maybe someone else has some advice.

Guest farnsbarns

I'm not able to listen right now but i did watch is as i wondered is the pup switch in the middle position? I've known them to rattle. If not I think it must be the crazy stop tail height causing the tail to rattle or maybe one of the various things hanging off it, I'd second putting it back together.

Weird buzzing? Might be those Bumblebee capacitors [biggrin] . Kidding aside, I notice your stopbar tailpiece appears to be set very high which could lessen tension on the strings and might allow some excess buzz and rattle to enter the picture.

It seems there is a very important piece missing.

The. Bridge.

R7 with no bridge?

I know -- it's like a day with out sunshine

har!

he removed everything whilst trying to isolate the pesky buzz.

It sounds like the strings are buzzing on the frets BEHIND the fretted note. A very resonant body could cause this. And as others have noted, the guitar should be setup stock, as designed. It is possible that adding more relief to the neck may help.

Weird buzzing is right. Dude. Yer fretting strings and poking at them. Hard. You have a fixed point at the nut. You are wrapped over a very rounded and smooth surface at the other fixed point. The string is vibrating up a storm and moving around on that bar, losing it's fixed point and gaining it and losing it and gaining it. A guitar works because the strings actually stop at each end. Yours doesn't know where it stops.

I don't know yer background or how you ended up chasing this buzz around, but I would suggest you have someone put the guitar right and worry about such things after you get a few years around guitars.

rct

Weird buzzing is right. Dude. Yer fretting strings and poking at them. Hard. You have a fixed point at the nut. You are wrapped over a very rounded and smooth surface at the other fixed point. The string is vibrating up a storm and moving around on that bar, losing it's fixed point and gaining it and losing it and gaining it. A guitar works because the strings actually stop at each end. Yours doesn't know where it stops.

I don't know yer background or how you ended up chasing this buzz around, but I would suggest you have someone put the guitar right and worry about such things after you get a few years around guitars.

rct

+1

Archived