Gibson Brands Forums

Almost pulled the trigger and then...

ksdaddy

So I have SG lust this week. You know the drill. I have SG lust because I don't HAVE an SG. In shopping around I saw several online places with the SG style Melody Maker and they were practically giving them away. Musicians Friend is sold out apparently, so I went on Amazon. Then I saw a white single cut MM for the same price.

I may just pick this one up instead.

174k1x.jpg

Sounds like a plan.

Keep your eye out for a used SG Special. I think it's the best deal Gibson has going. My wife bought this one for me at Guitar Center used for $400.

DSCN1274.jpg

It's had a few mods since then.

Yes I think I saw these when I was last at the guitar shop... Even over here they are going for about £315 which is just nuts for an electric guitar with Gibson on the headstock :)

I still wont get one though.. just cos im a neck player mainly so I like having both pickups..

In saying that, the Junior Specials may just tempt me.. I think they will only be about £600 odd (listen to me saying ONLY £600 lol).. But for a guitar with two pups and neck binding and its a Gibson, thats a deal that I may not be able to resist...

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-jr-special-p-90-electric-guitar-satin-vintage-sunburst--94053

See, that Special is kinda what I had in mind to build (rehab). I was hoping to find a trashed/refinished SG that I could stain walnut and put a single hand rubbed coat of oil on. No frills, bare bones. But pricing used/trashed/project SGs, cripes I can buy TWO of these Melody Makers!

Keep your eye out for a used SG Special. I think it's the best deal Gibson has going. My wife bought this one for me at Guitar Center used for $400.

I was going to suggest a used Special or even a used Standard. Not sure about your area, but I see used Standards on CraigsList all of the time and they are all reasonably priced. Most are from bedroom players.

See, that Special is kinda what I had in mind to build (rehab). I was hoping to find a trashed/refinished SG that I could stain walnut and put a single hand rubbed coat of oil on. No frills, bare bones. But pricing used/trashed/project SGs, cripes I can buy TWO of these Melody Makers!

Actually I was wrong... that Melody Maker is about the same price as the special (works out to about $400/$450 or so).

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-junior-electric-guitar-satin-white--62936

So its roughly the same price for the Specials.. no contest to me :)

Last time in our local GC 4th of July time, they had a handfull of these things, 299. I have seen them and heard about them so I got a couple and tried them. So for me, there's a reason they are 291 dollars. No offense, but you'll buy one and still not have an SG.

rct

These aren't the regular MMs. They're generally black, sometimes white, rarely blue. One volume knob. Bare bones.

$291 shipped at Amazon.

Yes I'm serious.

Actaully I lied again.. lol..i clicked on the wrong picture.. So I did see one for £300 all shapes too :)

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-melody-maker-sg-electric-guitar-satin-white--83095

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-melody-maker-explorer-electric-guitar-satin-ebony--83099

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-melody-maker-les-paul-electric-guitar-satin-ebony--83096

Id still rather get the Junior Specials... (they havent come out yet so obviously I need to try one).. But I have a feeling the will bridge the gap between the melody makers and the studios (but with neck binding and two pups [drool] )

No offense, but you'll buy one and still not have an SG.

Yes, I SHOULD just bite the bullet and buy a cherry Standard and get it over with but my modus operandi has traditionally been to sell an "A list" guitar (Tele, Strat, LP) and buy another "A list" guitar. "B list" guitars can be bought and sold in a more capricious manner.

And at the moment I'm not selling any "A list" guitars....

Maybe I can cull some "Bs" and generate enough cash for an "A".

[highjack] That SG looks so killer with the mirror pickguard & truss rod cover and vibrato bar. [/highjack]

Thank you Sir. The rustic finish with the polished chrome works for me too. I'm thinking of getting some black and chrome reflector knobs and maybe..... just maybe some of those steinberger gearless tuners too. Gonna wait a month or so though. I like to play it a lot between mods and make sure I know what I think about it befor moving on to the next one.

Saw a new one with P-90s in white at Guitar Center for $699 the other day.

You just can't go wrong with a melody maker. I have one in white and it's an amazing instrument. I love it. I did some mods that were 100 bucks tops and the guitar costed about 300, for the sound and comfortability I say there's no better deal.

I kind of like no-bling guitars tho.

Archived