Gibson Brands Forums

Genuine Flying V?

Adge

Hi Guys,

Having recently bought 2 flying V's after giving up my Telecaster after 6 years as after trying one I was hooked, but I have a problem as I have a Blue Flying v serial number indicates 1990/ebony but it has had a lot of changes(colour, pickups(seymour duncan/dimarzio, tuners, pick guard, but recently discovered that the truss nut cover was not a genuine one and that the routing inside is different as has round holes under the pickups whereas my other 1992 Gibson Flying V Cherry one has oval holes and other pictures i've found on the web seen seem to show oval holes

Anyone any ideas as to whether the blue one is genuine or not

photo3jv.jpg

sdc13211.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Im no V expert.. But the positions of the bridge and tailstop look really werid on that blue one.. If you look its not straight on the body..

The red one looks right though..

Im sure other people will chime in on this.

I would share your concern with all the variables. On one hand, there is little incentive to forge a '67 RI. No matter what you start with, you have a few hundred in it and you are going to have to spend some time/money finishing over the SN area, or stamping in a fake, then add Gibson cosmetics... all for maybe $700 for a "player" without the case (which would be $150+ more). One more thing to consider is that if the 1990 date is accurate, this was among the first batch(es) of the '67 RI, which debuted sometime in 1989. It is "possible" there was an initial difference in tooling/routing as they made the transition from '84s to '67s. It is also just as likely that whatever yahoos (sloppily) re-refinished the guitar they also played fast and loose in the cavity for some sort of pickups (after all, whatever ugliness you route in a V, the "face" is covered by the pickguard.

I think a few shots of '89 and '90 routes will be helpful. Here is a 1989 V90 which appears to have the oval routes (not good for your case, but not conclusive either)

flyingv1.jpg

Thanks for the info, the headstock angle, shape and thickness are the same as my 1992 one, the neck is also the same as I have measured them. I guess as you say it could just have been a tooling difference on the change over.

Archived