Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer James Hetfield "Rusty" Style

Thunderhorse71

Ok I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and do up one of my favorite Explorers as a replica of James Hetfields '76 re-issue "Rusty" but I need a little guidance on where to find a few parts. Basically I'll find a bone stock ebony model (the current $1200 ones) as my starting point and gut it. Getting the body finished in satin will be easy enough but getting a pickguard might be tricky. I searched those out all over hell and back and it basically seems as if no one really knows what the material is made out of on the real one and Zach H. doesn't seem to be answering any questions about it. It "looks" like copper but that would be an awfully heavy option I'd think. Either way it will be without a switch on the guard, and I'll move the switch back to run it VOL/VOL/SWITCH. Anyone have any insight on it? The other neat option appear to be the over-sized torx head pickguard screws. I'm sure I'm looking at filling the holes and re-tapping.

The other necessity will be hogging out the electronics area to make room for all the EMG parts and battery in the back....I THINK? Anyone else do that mod with EMG's and still have enough room in there for the battery, or maybe 2 for the 18V mod?

Other than those items, I don't see a lot else that's not bone stock off-the-shelf parts. Any insights into this undertaking? Ah!...almost forgot the brass nut.

stangerexp2dc5.jpg

I had the same idea to mod a stock explorer to "rusty" . I to could not find a pick guard. Went to a metal shop that had a flow jet and had them cut me out two different pick guards one with the toggle switch hole and one with out. Then I put them both in a bucket of water for a few days to start the rustling. When I was satisfied with the look I sealed them with a satin clear. They are cut out of steel so they could rust. I had it on the guitar and it looks good but dew to a lack of funds I can't complete the project and put the white pick guard back. Was thinking of just sanding the body with some super fine sand paper just to dull the finish cause I don't want to cover the nitro. Maybe some day I'll finish it. But check with a metal fab shop with a flow jet. The up I went to just photo copied the pick guard and it is prefect.

I had the same idea to mod a stock explorer to "rusty" . I to could not find a pick guard. Went to a metal shop that had a flow jet and had them cut me out two different pick guards one with the toggle switch hole and one with out. Then I put them both in a bucket of water for a few days to start the rustling. When I was satisfied with the look I sealed them with a satin clear. They are cut out of steel so they could rust. I had it on the guitar and it looks good but dew to a lack of funds I can't complete the project and put the white pick guard back. Was thinking of just sanding the body with some super fine sand paper just to dull the finish cause I don't want to cover the nitro. Maybe some day I'll finish it. But check with a metal fab shop with a flow jet. The up I went to just photo copied the pick guard and it is prefect.

Excellent input! What kind of $$$$ did they want for the project?

I'm having the guitar re-finished in satin anyhow and don't believe a hoot about nitro making it sound better or different. If you put EMG's in it, you negate any "organic" traits anyhow.

It cost me $40 per pick guard. In you do go this route tell the shop that you need the thinest steel that they can cut. I'll try to post a picture of the two that I have. If I can't pm me and I'll email a picture to you. I had emgs in a couple of guitars I had and hated them. I was going to leave the pickups.

Excellent input! What kind of $$ did they want for the project?

I'm having the guitar re-finished in satin anyhow and don't believe a hoot about nitro making it sound better or different. If you put EMG's in it, you negate any "organic" traits anyhow.

Archived