Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guard vs no Pick Guard

SGJ

I agree with ChanMan. It depends on the guitar. My Desert Burst Standard doesn't look right with it on so I never installed it. I think it's the darker color burst that makes it look wrong. On the lighter colors it looks fine. I think it's mandatory on a solid color or plain top. The flame tops are a some on some off kind of thing.

Don

I like em' on. For playing and for looks. Not so much that I'm gonna be picking way the hell down there, but just for a pinky rest area.

But, on the Studios/VM's (without binding) I'm torn. I can live without it.

Murph.

Visually both work for me.

I change it depending on my mood and what I'm playing. For stuff with lots of chord work I prefer it on but for the tunes where I 'need to try harder' I prefer to use the underside of the bridge pup ring as my pinkie anchor point.

Anyhow; it's just a case of two small screws - a minute's work at most.

I do like the look, on an original 'burst which has faded, when the guard comes off and there is that un-faded cherry triangle....

I personally like the look of it without a pickguard....I think a lot of it has to do with the fact I grew up watching guys like Slash and Zakk Wylde, so I'm used to seeing them without pickguards....But I will admit that if I ever spent the money on a '59 Reissue I'd keep the thing on....You just don't screw with a '59.

-Damien

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to owning a Les Paul but it's an Epiphone Les Paul, so I'm not sure if this would really be the right forum. I just found it because I googled this topic.

My Epiphone LP Studio has a dark natural finish called Worn Brown. It's a mahogany body with alder top, though the top looks the same as the back to me. It's exactly the finish I wanted but I think it would look a lot better without the pickguard... especially since it's a rather cheap-looking pickguard on a guitar on which all the important stuff looks very nice. I'm just worried that I'll end up scratching the finish. Does anyone know if these kind of finishes are very resilient or not? I should mention that I'm also rather new to playing and it's hard for me to really imagine how important or unimportant the pickguard might be.

Welcome, BlackAngus. how long have you been playing? It's not so important whether the pickguard is on or off. We sometimes get bored as heck in the forum here and babble about our preferences. It's no biggie. Epiphone Les Pauls can play sweet too, so don't worry 'bout it. A few others have posted pics of their Epiphones here, including me. Post pics of yours as soon as you can. I'm sure everyone would be happy to see what you've got. Photobucket.com for picture hosting, then copy and paste here.

i like to leave them on. it feels good to rest some of my fingers on it while i play, and also i just like the look of them on better. but when they are black they have to by multi ply, i like them to have the little white trim. sounds a little dumb but it just bugs me without it. solid cream ones are fine on heritaage cherrys but on most of the guitars i have or like they need a black multiply

Archived