Gibson Brands Forums

sg pickup differences

BillyBlades

Q?

I just got a g400 cherry (glossy) and it sounds "hotter " than the faded g400?

The faded sounds lower output. The glossy cherry model is a chinese model without coil taps ,,, any info on which pickups are in these 2 models? The faded sounds less clear, more bass and less clear... also, lower output,

Yes; They're called Epi stock pickups..........They're all different......

For those in the know, the difference is that they are different from "player's pickups"....

Although, Epi P-90s are quite good...........

Hm, sounds interesting. Few years ago I had a G400 ebony. I sold it and switched to the Maestro Deluxe EB version. As you described it sounds quite hotter. I took a look at the guitars description and there the pickups were listet as classic Alnico V / classic Alnico V Plus, so maybe you got such one too ^^

Even though I've put Gibson pickups in all my other Epis I wouldn't go for a pickup change on my G400 as it sounds just amazing as it is [thumbup]

The glossy guitar stays as is.. its perfect! The faded has a more vintage sound. I have a gfs alnico pro hot snd a gfs veh thats begging to be put in a guitar... i think i found the guinee pig lol... its a nice pickup in the faded and thru my modded marshalls it gives endless sustain tho. I held a note last week till my fingers got tired. Like at leat 4 minutes and it couldve went forever. Its just that its obviously lower output and s little slower in pick attack.

I was just wondering because the glossy sg is way clearer...more defined...and hotter. I thought they had the same pickups.

Technically, they are supposed to have the same pickups in them. Though, sometimes Epiphone lists the same guitars as having Alnico Classics and sometimes listed as Alnico Classic and Classic Plus. I dont know if there is a difference or if someone was just being lazy when writing the specs. It could depend on the year also, I suppose. Do these guitars have the same potentiometers and capacitors in them? That could make a difference as well.

Also, the GFS VEH is awesome. I have one in my S-500. Its my favorite sounding humbucker in any guitar that I currently own.

Technically, they are supposed to have the same pickups in them. Though, sometimes Epiphone lists the same guitars as having Alnico Classics and sometimes listed as Alnico Classic and Classic Plus. I dont know if there is a difference or if someone was just being lazy when writing the specs. It could depend on the year also, I suppose. Do these guitars have the same potentiometers and capacitors in them? That could make a difference as well.

Also, the GFS VEH is awesome. I have one in my S-500. Its my favorite sounding humbucker in any guitar that I currently own.

How is you s500? Been thinkin about getting one.

Thanx for the vote on the veh! People were bashing it but i think its goin in tomorrow if i got time between tattoo clients :)

The thing with the VEH is that people think that its suppose to be a hot pickup, but its really not. Its a 'brown sound". I dont know how it compares to a real EVH, but I really like the sound of it. People forget that a lot of Eddie's tone came from his rig.

How is you s500? Been thinkin about getting one.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about an old 1986 Epiphone S-500. I think that there is another guitar manufacturer that makes an S-500 currently. Ibanez, maybe? I cant remember. Anyway, I love that guitar. The body is pretty crappy laminate, but the neck is superb, and that is what I really like. Plays like butter. The original electronics and bridge were pretty bad too, but all that is gone now. GFS VEH and Floyd Rose Speedloader FTW!

Archived