Gibson Brands Forums

No guitars in the Hospital

JohnnyReb

Well at 28 years old I just had my 3rd surgery on my lower back and I'm laying in the hospital as I speak. I had a spinal fusion done this March and got all the rods and bolts. A few days ago the doc said I had a fluid leak in my spine down there and here I am again.

Anyways I got a dose of morphine and am feeling better and wishing I had my AJ! The room im in has a hardwood floor and a natural reverb to it that would make my AJ bark like a mad dog [thumbup] However, the nurse quickly shot down the idea of me playing guitar in my hospital bed so that sucks. I suppose with the medicine I'm on I may get a little carried away. I'm sure nobody wants to hear the lovesick blues on the 3rd floor at 2 AM lol.

But.....it was worth a try

28 with serious lower back issues - wish you all the best with that. Could you even hold a guitar in your position in a hospital bed? Get a little hand held recorder - and get some lyrics down - there's got to be a song in all of this. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery. Behave, listen to your doc, and get back to your six-string soon.

Like Em7 says, take advantage of the "down time" to listen to music, and maybe even do a little music theory studying if your brain will let you. Just because you can't play doesn't mean you can't immerse yourself in music.

I had back surgery at 40, some 25 years ago, and it made a big long-term difference in my lifestyle, for the better.

Hang in there, JohnnyReb. It will get better.

have back troubles myself ,sympathising .how'd you do it ? cant be wear and tear at your age :-) hope what theyve done fixes you up .

I have acute degenerative disk disease, my disks kept rupturing and sending terrible pains down my leg. It's not really anything I done to my self. I had my first surgery when I was 24 for it.

Anyway thanks guys for the encouraging words. I'm off the Morphine now and hoping to go home this afternoon. I'm pretty sore but I can get out of bed on my own at least.

Cocain blues.....yea that woulda been a hoot lol

J45nick good to see you back. I was waiting for your return so I could play the banjo with you [biggrin]

28 with serious lower back issues - wish you all the best with that. Could you even hold a guitar in your position in a hospital bed? Get a little hand held recorder - and get some lyrics down - there's got to be a song in all of this. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery. Behave, listen to your doc, and get back to your six-string soon.

+1

I'll get the ball rollin' on the backporch for ya - morf it up[thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qw6mb5mzh6s

JR, I feel your pain. Literally. I'm going back for a post op consultation tomorrow. Apparently the procedure (radio frequency ablation) in eight spots did not work for me this time. Seventeen days until the Sometimes Annual Never Sweat Jam and it's difficult to even walk. Keep me posted pal

Hope you get out soon and hope the procedure works for manymany years to come! And don't get too use to the morphine!! BTW you live in beautifulcountry, enjoy it. I use to go camping at Dale Hollow Lakes.

chasAK

ps. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a small bodiedGibson!!

Being a nurse myself, I can figure what you are going trough. Best of the luck to you. Keep confidence , and try to focus on positive things. When one suffer or has health issue, it make you realize what you want for your life.

And at this particular time of your life, just being at ease without suffering, is consider a blessing.

Blessed you, and may the music be a treatment for your soul.

Michel Marc

Giv the nurse a quick pinch of the bum and hope for the best

or is that being toooo politically un corret ?

bum-pinching has a political aspect? Hmm........

Ah, I see your point. Maybe a good way to get your face slapped, at the very least.

I can remember some 45 years ago having a girlfriend in the hospital for some surgery. I "smuggled" my J-45 in and sang for her, and the nurses thought it was cute. I guess times have changed......

bum-pinching has a political aspect? Hmm........

Ah, I see your point. Maybe a good way to get your face slapped, at the very least.

I can remember some 45 years ago having a girlfriend in the hospital for some surgery. I "smuggled" my J-45 in and sang for her, and the nurses thought it was cute. I guess times have changed......

is that a guitar under your sheets or are you just pleased to see me?

Archived