Gibson Brands Forums

Rush. Snakes and Arrows.

LarryUK

Just plussed you kaleb. Too bad we can't get together and jam all of the RUSH songs we know and maybe teach each other thing's that the other doesn't know.

I know!

It's hard to find musicians around here that are this into Rush.

You should watch the documentary "Far from the Lighted Stage" that came out last year just to see how good Lifeson was in the early days.

Actually, I think its called "Beyond the Lighted Stage" but yes, its excellent. I highly recommend it for any Rush fan. [thumbup]

Have been into Rush since the 80's when I discovered them as a teen in suburban Aurora Colorado. Followed them until the early 90's then lost touch. Still not into their 90's stuff too much, but a couple years ago I got back into them and had the immense pleasure of discovering "snakes and arrows" and "vapor trails" which I like even more the more I play them. Then saw them in late 2010 for the Time Machine tour and they were *amazing*. Played for over 2 hours and played the "Moving Pictures" album in its entirety. Seeing them again later this year and cant wait.

In any case, Lifeson really does have what I consider to be a very unique style and no one can argue he's got skills, even if your not a fan of his music. Trying to play his music has made me a better player too I think. He's one of my top 25. [biggrin]

Well I've got a lot to say but it's late so I'll be brief. For me he is unique because his solos are very melodic and no two have the same licks. Limelight and La Villa Strangiato are two of the best solos ever IMHO. One of my favorites is Kid Gloves. There aren't that many players who can keep doing that. If you think he's lost it then listen to the solo on Caravan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-WrgfGxeI

Also, yeah he likes the vibrato, but he's just doing what Rush has always been doing: his way! He can bring it on in so many ways. Listen to him play All Along the Watchtower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-cEjyq9SiI

Archived