Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker vs Alnico

Kaiser Bill

I have recently come into possession of a pair of 1973 Gibson Humbuckers. I have several guitars that these would benefit. I have a 2004 Gibson Les Paul (Alnico), a 2007 (?) Gibson Les Paul Double Cut (Alnico) an Eppy Les Paul (?) and an Eppy Joe Pass (?) . Before I start tearing these guitars apart...I need to know if there is a major difference between Alnico p/us and Humbuckers??

Alnico (an acronym comprising the first two letters of three different metallic elements, aluminum, nickel and cobalt) refers to the type of magnet used in guitar pickups. A humbucker is a type of pickup.

I have recently come into possession of a pair of 1973 Gibson Humbuckers. I have several guitars that these would benefit. I have a 2004 Les Paul (Alnico), a 2007 (?) Les Paul Double Cut (Alnico) an Eppy Les Paul (?) and an Eppy Joe Pass (?) . Before I start tearing these guitars apart...I need to know if there is a major difference between Alnico p/us and Humbuckers??

You didnt mention if the first two guitars were Gibson or Epiphone. If they are Epiphones, then take your pick. I think its a matter of preference, really. If the first two are Gibsons, I would put the '73s in one of those and then install the stock Gibbys in the Epiphone Les Paul.

As far as the Joe Pass Emperor is concerned, you would want to check the output on any pickups you decide to install in that guitar. Being a hollow body, it is prone to feedback if the pickup output is too high. A little research would be prudent for this guitar.

For pickups in general, there are really only two basic types; single coil and double coil (humbucker). Single coils include Strat-style pickups, lipstick pickups (like in a Danelectro), NY pickups (old-school Epiphone), P-90's, etc.

Double coil pickups include typical humbuckers, mini humbuckers, stacked humbuckers in a single coil size, etc. The difference between the two being that a single coil has one magnet and coil - and a humbucker has two magnets and coils.

For magnets types, you have Alnico and ceramic. The latter being considered the inferior of the two types. Though quality can vary greatly between two brands or tiers of both Alnico and ceramic magnet pickups depending on the quality of materials and process involved in manufacturing.

The first two guitars (LP and LPDC) are Gibsons. I appreciate the opinions expressed, and will have to make a decision soon. I am NOT happy with the sound I get from the Gibson Double Cut OR the Epiphone Les Paul. The highs do not scream, and the lows are MUD... on BOTH guitars. Since when did Epiphone make an LPDC??

I am disappointed to learn that the '73 p/us may not be much better (hotter) than what I've already got. RATS!!!!!

I agree with RTH, put the 73's in the Gibson, and the Gibson's in the Epi. I have an Epi LP n had PAF'S installed, thinking it would scream better. The truth is that the PAF's weren't much different than the classic humbuckers that came with the LP.

The first two guitars (LP and LPDC) are Gibsons. I appreciate the opinions expressed, and will have to make a decision soon. I am NOT happy with the sound I get from the Gibson Double Cut OR the Epiphone Les Paul. The highs do not scream, and the lows are MUD... on BOTH guitars.

I am disappointed to learn that the '73 p/us may not be much better (hotter) than what I've already got. RATS!!!!!

I just installed some late 60's early 70's patent# HB pickups in an Epi Lp studio. It was an excellent improvement.

Double check to make sure the string clearance is correct. Set the pick up height to spec. Muddy with no highs could be caused by the pickups set too close to the strings. Ask me how I know.

Also, install some PIO type tone caps, a big improvement for me.

String clearance??? Its the way it was set at the factory...I'll take a measurement before I start the P/U removal to at least have a starting point. I have never heard of a "PIO tone cap"...no idea what that is...capacitor maybe?? Can I get one at Radio Shack?? What value? Where does it go??

So for now it looks like the LP DC will be getting the '73s and the ALNICOS will go in the EPPY Paul.

Thanks for your input...its appreciated.

Archived