Gibson Brands Forums

Pete Townsend J200

Kaiser Bill

Yes...we were friends for 41 years, toured together in the 70s, and were both VietNam vets. Never a cross word between us in all that time.

Bill ,

will you be playing a favorite song of his ??? I know another forum member played a Johnny Cash song at his father's funeral .

and I am glad there are still people in the world who know the true meaning of a friendship . God Bless

JC

Bob and I did the "Cowboy Bob" show for quite a while. We played nursing & retirement homes. We did shows for the local Soldiers & Sailors home. We never took a cent. Bob was on 100% disability from his tour in VietNam. I believe in my heart it was Agent Orange that finally took his life.

He was my friend for 41 years, and I miss him every day. I believe his widow still has his signature Johnny Cash Martin on display at their home. He was a Johnny Cash fan of the first magnitude.

IMG_1236.jpg

"Bob" sounds like a good man, and its a great name for a guitar too. "Happy Trails" - never would have thought of that one, but its a superb choice for a memorial song. Sing out, and sing out strong. Thanks for sharing the story.

Thanks ever so much for your kind words. As for supporting the war... I really didn't have a choice. I was already in when it broke out. I just consider myself lucky to have been discharged in 1966 before the worst of it started. Many of my classmates will never be older than 20. Bob was indeed a good man and a good friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know if its possible to have the pickguard replaced. Bob was a "flogger" and a lot of the design is worn away. I'd like to get it either replaced or restored. Is that possible??

Yes. Getting an orignal one from Gibson may require the assistance of an authorized Gibson dealer. There are plenty of aftermarket versions, although they may or may not contain all the distinctive elements of the original. Just google "custom guitar pickguards", and you'll probably come up with a number of sources, including pickguardian and terrapin guitars.

Removal of an original pickguard and installing a new one has been the subject of several threads here, or a competent guitar repairman or luthier can do it for not a lot of money.

Bob and I did the "Cowboy Bob" show for quite a while. We played nursing & retirement homes. We did shows for the local Soldiers & Sailors home. We never took a cent. Bob was on 100% disability from his tour in VietNam. I believe in my heart it was Agent Orange that finally took his life.

He was my friend for 41 years, and I miss him every day. I believe his widow still has his signature Johnny Cash Martin on display at their home. He was a Johnny Cash fan of the first magnitude.

IMG_1236.jpg

very nice Martin =D . I don't really like them alot . but there is something about that black one =D .

and just missing him and thinking about him is the greatest testament to what a great friend you had in him

God Bless

was Bob off the hook in 1966 also or did he stay longer ?

JC

Sorry...I'm not familiar with that name.

Just wanted to let you know that this Saturday is the Cowboy Bob memorial. I slapped a new set of wires on the J200 and they just sing. Several of you had wished me luck with the service...I appreciate that. I will let you all know how I fared.

Archived