Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about string paint and a loose bridge

tfs4473

I'm about finished getting through the various issues that have popped up on my relatively new LP Studio. The nut has been switched out and cut correctly, and the saddles are polished, so the intial tuning problems have been reduced. Additionally, an obvious gound problem from bad wiring has been fixed.

While addressing the wiring problem reduced the very loud ground humm, but I still think the guitar is humming pretty loudly (louder than my Strat or Charvel, for sure). The tech said that the ground between the tailpiece post and the strings wasn't right, but what was happening wasn't clear. It was suggested that it's possible that the painted ends of D'Addario strings (the ball end that fits into the tailpiece) could impede the ground and cause some humming. It was suggested the black chrome on the tailpiece post and the tailpiece itself could be interfering with the ground.

Anyone heard of either of these? Thoughts on whether either of these are possible?

The second issue is whether the bridge being loose on the posts is really a problem (the inserts appear to be pressed solidly into the body). Under tension, the strings seem to hold the bridge firmly, but when the tech had the strings off to change the nut he noticed that there was 1/16 or 1/32 of movement (wiggle?) of the bridge.

Anything to have addressed, or pretty much normal?

Thanks.

Thom

Do you have P90 pickups on your LP Studio. P90's are single coil and as such are subject to 60 cycle hum. Move around the room and reposition your guitar to see if the hum changes. Check to see if your amp is plugged into the same circuit as other equipment that can cause noise (fluorescent lights, etc.)

Concerning the tailpiece -- my tech screwed the tailpiece all the way down to the body of of my LP Studio. That puts a sharper break angle across the bridge and gives greater sustain. You may want to try that.

Concerning the bridge -- Gibson's hardware will be loose on the posts when you remove the strings. Remember that and do not turn your guitar upside down as the bridge will separate from the guitar and fall on the table or floor. Just remember which orientation you had when replacing the bridge on the posts.

The idea that the colored ball ends of D'Adarrio strings would cause a buzz is absurd. I also think that screwing the tailpiece down is not the best idea. It causes a sharper angle over the bridge and may even touch the back of the bridge before it touches the saddle. This can cause premature string breakage not to mention a bit harder to bend strings while playing. A lot of players actually wrap the strings over the stop piece to decrease the angle resulting in a sfter feel.

Is this tech the same guy or store that sold you the guitar? Does it hum in the store? If not than it could be a power issue in your home or where you plug the amp in and it's proximity to other electronic gear plugged into the same plug or circuit.

Pics would help. If it does hum in the store tell the guy you want it fixed properly or you will call Gibson with their poor repair service. I assume they are a licensed Gibson dealer.

The ball ends comment is way too much.

The thought that the strings were a possible source of the ground problem was a stretch, but that's why I took the guitar to severa techs in the area. The guitar was bought from MF, so there's not a store per se to take it to. I could return it, but honestly, now that the tuning issue seems to be resolved and after some more digging aorund I'm satisfied that the bridge is correct I'm very happy with the guitar. The set up is perfect for me, and I like the way it sounds and plays. Just one more annoying issue to address.

As part of the investigation into the source of the hum, I swapped out amps, guitars, cables, outlets, switched off all other electronics (including lighting, ceiling fans, etc.), and the only constant was the the LP buzzed, where the other guitars did not.

I don't know if it helps at all in tracing down the source, but I have determied that the hum stops when I touch the jack plate, but it is not affected by touching the strings. I will try to narrow it down further by touching various parts of the guitar this evening to see if I can narrow it down further.

Thom

It's tough to diagnose on the forum... however, it appears from your description, so far, it could be a loose ground or a hot lead is touching the ground with some resistance...

When you touch the jack plate, your body is like a ground and drains the noise. If grounded properly, the noise flows to the outer shielding of the cable to your amp's ground. If you touch the stopbar or bridge or string it should also minimize the hum, otherwise the stoptail may not be grounded.

First make sure your cable is good. Then, you can check (multimeter) the ground solder joint first at the jack then move on to the rest of the grounding.

Maybe pictures of the cavities would help troubleshoot the unwanted noise.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I have the answer! Part one was that there was none, zero, nada, shielding in the electronics recesses. Apparently, this should have been done at the factory, but it was not. Interestingly, the guitar tech who was able to solve the problem had to clean up a lot of the rough cutting to even put in the shielding. (He did a really clean and neat job of it, as well).

The second part was the painted tailpiece. Because both it and the post had been painted, no ground was made between them. The tech has ordered a replacement, chromed tailpiece but in the meantime scraped off enough of the paint where the parts touch that a ground circuit is made.

So now the LP is stone quiet on clean channels, and when using high gain channels all I hear is the hiss of the amp and not the buzz of the guitar.

Finall, I am able to play this thing!

Thom

Oh, and since this tech is certified by Gibson, it was all covered under warranty.

I am so glad this worked out for you. Gibson owes you one.

So now just enjoy your ax and play all day hum free!!!

I am still flabergasted by the painted ball ends on D'Adarrio strings as a possible cause. That is so way outside the box.

Good luck to you.

I agree that the ball ends was something of a SWAG, but that guy was on the right path with paint being part of the culprit. Fortunately, Gibson still makes a black chrome tailpiece, so I can keep the look of the guitar's original all-black hardware. Actually, with the artic white paint, the black of the controls, the bridge, etc, the tuners (Grovers), and the ebony fretboard is quite striking.

Thom

I agree that the ball ends was something of a SWAG, but that guy was on the right path with paint being part of the culprit. Fortunately, Gibson still makes a black chrome tailpiece, so I can keep the look of the guitar's original all-black hardware. Actually, with the artic white paint, the black of the controls, the bridge, etc, the tuners (Grovers), and the ebony fretboard is quite striking.

Thom

How abot some pics?

Everyone loves a happy ending, Unless you're into Emo.

Part one was that there was none, zero, nada, shielding in the electronics recesses. Apparently, this should have been done at the factory, but it was not.

When did Gibson start to shield inside the cavities?

as far as I know there is none.

The pots maybe on a plate depending on the model but other than that, I don't know of Gibson putting in conductive graphic paint or copper foil

When did Gibson start to shield inside the cavities?

as far as I know there is none.

The pots maybe on a plate depending on the model but other than that, I don't know of Gibson putting in conductive graphic paint or copper foil

Beats me... all I know is what the tech said, what he did, and that the ground problem/buzz is gone. I don't know much about Gibsons and what comes with each option/model, but he seemed surprised that shielding wasn't part of the original construction. I will say that the whomever routed the guitar at the factory did a pretty sloppy job... there were bits of wood (almost like a nest) sticking out of the side of the routing.

Played it for a couple of hours last night, and I really like this guitar, so I'm finally happy with it.

Thom

It's been a while, but I have the answer! Part one was that there was none, zero, nada, shielding in the electronics recesses. Apparently, this should have been done at the factory, but it was not. Interestingly, the guitar tech who was able to solve the problem had to clean up a lot of the rough cutting to even put in the shielding. (He did a really clean and neat job of it, as well).

The second part was the painted tailpiece. Because both it and the post had been painted, no ground was made between them. The tech has ordered a replacement, chromed tailpiece but in the meantime scraped off enough of the paint where the parts touch that a ground circuit is made.

So now the LP is stone quiet on clean channels, and when using high gain channels all I hear is the hiss of the amp and not the buzz of the guitar.

Finall, I am able to play this thing!

Thom

Oh, and since this tech is certified by Gibson, it was all covered under warranty.

Shielding in the control cavity... when did Gibson started this? Is this something new in newer Gibson's LP and why?

It appears that the nitro was still soft when the factory installed the post in the body...aceton or wire brushing removes it quickly. [confused]

Do you have P90 pickups on your LP Studio. P90's are single coil and as such are subject to 60 cycle hum. Move around the room and reposition your guitar to see if the hum changes. Check to see if your amp is plugged into the same circuit as other equipment that can cause noise (fluorescent lights, etc.)

Concerning the tailpiece -- my tech screwed the tailpiece all the way down to the body of of my LP Studio. That puts a sharper break angle across the bridge and gives greater sustain. You may want to try that.

Concerning the bridge -- Gibson's hardware will be loose on the posts when you remove the strings. Remember that and do not turn your guitar upside down as the bridge will separate from the guitar and fall on the table or floor. Just remember which orientation you had when replacing the bridge on the posts.

I did that but top wrapped the strings. I did get a slightly more sustain, but I just like the look. LOL I agree that colored ball ends causing buzz is total nonsense. I've used D'Adarrio strings ages and never had a problem with buzz.

Archived