Gibson Brands Forums

Dove vs Hummingbird

Jinder

I'm keen to know folks' thoughts on this.

I've owned a couple of Gibson Hummingbirds and one Dove, and although all were fine instruments, I miss my last Hummingbird the most. That was a magical, luminous sounding guitar. Still, you can't keep 'em all, eh?

I am very partial to the looks of the Dove, and quite fancy picking up either an Epi Dove or 'Bird as a "house" guitar, ie a non-stage instrument, one to hang on the wall, grab when inspiration strikes, and take to the beach with pals for summer evening singsongs.

I've played one Epi HB and two Doves, but ones of wildly differing ages and conditions. The Hummer was well played in whilst both Doves were new, and the HB sounded warmer to my ears.

Opinions would be great...which do you prefer, and why?

The only thing I can offer is that I played a Humingbird Artist in a store for a few minutes, and was very pleasantly surprised. Very impressive for the money, and I actually preferred its modest looks over the Epi version of the Bird.

Ditto on the J-200 Artist. Amazing value (based on my brief, in-store experience).

Red 333

I'm keen to know folks' thoughts on this.

I've owned a couple of Gibson Hummingbirds and one Dove, and although all were fine instruments, I miss my last Hummingbird the most. That was a magical, luminous sounding guitar. Still, you can't keep 'em all, eh?

I am very partial to the looks of the Dove, and quite fancy picking up either an Epi Dove or 'Bird as a "house" guitar, ie a non-stage instrument, one to hang on the wall, grab when inspiration strikes, and take to the beach with pals for summer evening singsongs.

I've played one Epi HB and two Doves, but ones of wildly differing ages and conditions. The Hummer was well played in whilst both Doves were new, and the HB sounded warmer to my ears.

Opinions would be great...which do you prefer, and why?

I prefer the Hummingbird. But the looks and the warmth of the mahogany bird is what would win me over. I also think its warmth is well suited to the human voice for singing.

I agree with Red about the tasteful stripped down Artist models - they look and sound great.

sorry to hijack this thread but apart from bling what are the main differences between a Hummingbird and a DR220? They seem very simialr in shape and build (same tonewoods etc).

I used to own an epi dove and to be honest it was a pretty decent guitar. Beautiful guitar and pretty well built except for the cheesy pick guard. The sound was pretty good also, not too loud I guess a warmer tone. Pretty good all around. I sold it in order to put money towards a gibson dove and to be honest I do miss her a bit but, I couldnt have both at the time. I have an epi hummingbird now, and have had 3 in all the past two years. All were different in sound, I had to sell the first one in order to put towards a gibson bird. After I got the gibson I bought another bird because it was a really good guitar. However, the one I bought online just wasnt the same. It just didnt have the same sound I had n the previous one. So, I took the one I bought online and exchanged it for a brand new one at guitar center and to be honest its a really good guitar. I am in the process of taking it for a setup and having the plastic nut and saddle replaced with bone. I did that on my first bird and it made a really good change in the guitar. Both are very good guitars, however I am more drawn to the epi bird for some reason. This has a bit of a louder sound but still warm at the same time. I could see myself getting another epi dove in the future but am happy with what I have right now. Hope this helps a bit.

Archived