Gibson Brands Forums

I am officially in a guitar lull

heymisterk

Guest farnsbarns

It's been over a week since I picked up any of my guitars. I just don't feel that motivated, for whatever reason.

Do you guys ever go through this? If so, do you do anything about it, or just let it pass?

Quite often, just role with it, you'll probably wake up itching to play one day and you'll have a new enthusiasm for it. I find I start playing new things and finding new riffs and so on when I have a short break.

I sometimes get unmotivated to write material as sometimes I can feel burnt out. I rehearse at least 12 hours a week with a group I play with, and besides of that time I try to make an effort to practice playing guitar in various other styles and modes so I don't ever feel dry. I would say that some days I just don't feel like playing so I avoid picking up a guitar and that can help a lull.

I hope you pick it up soon!

... you'll probably wake up itching to play one day and you'll have a new enthusiasm for it. I find I start playing new things and finding new riffs and so on when I have a short break.

This [thumbup]

I find these little breaks help me to recharge. Roll with it, MisterK.

When this happens to me I'll either ride it out and simply not play for a week, or pick up a different instrument for a while. Even if you have no intention of getting good on a different instrument, just giving your brain a fresh challenge can get you creative juices flowing. Or at least the frustration of not being able to play this new instrument will inspire you to play the guitar again.

This too shall pass. When I was working 26 nights a month in Phoenix...I never touched a guitar at home other than to put new strings on every 3 days. Right now I'm playing three or four times every day but for only 10-20 minutes at a time....just so I don't forget what little I know.

I think the suggestion to try a different tuning is excellent. It really does make it more interesting. For myself, I pretty much play my guitars everyday. Not too many lulls with that, BUT, my songwriting has plenty of lulls and slow times. The mood/ability/muse, all of the above comes-and-goes. Sometimes I don't work on a song for 2-3 weeks. Other times I work on songs continuously. We're all different. Just go with it. The yearning to play will come back. [thumbup]

When I'm not motivated, listening to music helps.

If luck strikes, you'll hear a song that'll make you wanna grab your axe, plug in and crank it up!

Unfortunately, this always happens to me when I am not near a guitar or late at night when I can't crank it up.....

Archived