Gibson Brands Forums

Underrated Guitar Players

kaleb

I realize my last topic of the same category was very, well, stupid to say the least. List, post videos of, etc, of who YOU think are underrated! I decided to use a top-5 list.

1. Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown)

2. Dave Meneketti (Y&T)

3. Fast Eddie Clark (Motorhead/Fastway)

4. Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)

5. Richie Scarlet AKA "The Emperor Of Rock N' Roll" (solo/Ace Frehley/Sebastain Bach Band/Mountain/Gangsters Of Rock)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not real knowledgeable on these guys, but I do know that I like Alvin Lee. What I've heard him on is real R&R and he is a rocker with a bit of folk in him. First song I heard him on was years ago (I'm Going Home). It caught my attention because I thought it had a kind of Canned Heat sound to it. Anyway, I think Alvin Lee is a pretty talented guy. Some of these guys are extremely fast. His style and persona make a connection. He's one of those great pickers who plays in the shadows of those with bigger names.

Not in the UK, but here in the States Johnny Marr does not get enough respect or mention. Not a flashy lead player. He just wrote the some really crafty and interesting riffs and used tasty chord voicings.

I think we can all agree a lot of what is crammed down our throats is other folks opinions on who is great and not so great. Its good to see that we all have our own faves that aren't household names. Mine goes something like this... in no particular order

Tom Bresch

Doyle Dykes

Tommy Emmanuel

Johnny Hyland

Ted Greene

I made another list. This time a Top 10!

1. Pat Thrall (Pat Travers Band/Hughes & Thrall)

2. Pat Travers (Pat Travers Band....)

3. Bruce Kulick (KISS/Grand Funk Railroad/Eric Singer Project)

4. Frank Hannon (Tesla)

5. Jake E. Lee (Ozzy Osbourne/Badlands)

6. Brad Gillis (Night Ranger/Ozzy Osbourne)

7. Damon Johnson (Brother Cane/Alice Cooper/Thin Lizzy)

8. Chris Poland (Megadeth)

9. Frank Marino (solo/Mahogany Rush)

10. Vince Martell (Vanilla Fudge)

Albert Lee

Roy Buchannon-World's greatest unknown guitar player

Buck Dharma

Nokie Edwards

Huey Thomason

I think Albert Lee is well established as a top picker. Kudos to your Buck Dharma pick. I almost listed him as well. One of the first riffs I ever learned was Godzilla.

Some of you guys post players that i see on guitar mags almost every time i pick one up.

I think some people don't know what the term underrated is.

People still buy guitar mags? I don;t guess I've bought one of those in 5 years. [biggrin]

People still buy guitar mags? I don;t guess I've bought one of those in 5 years. [biggrin]

I haven't in two years, theres these free subscriptions online that i sign up for, mostly last around 6 months or something.

Find them on MLP. Only downside is that they always send letters, which its alright for a free mag.

So how do we determine that a guitarist isn’t getting his fare share of attention?

I used to always lament how few people know about my favorite guitar player, Michael Schenker but I see that a lot more people seem to be aware of him today than 15 years ago. I think this is the YouTube factor.

Archived