Gibson Brands Forums

Underrated Guitar Players

kaleb

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved "I Got A Line On You" since it was released. It sounds great at the regular tempo, slowed down, or sped up. Spirit played it great live. Mark Andes on bass was great as well.

Fresh Garbage!

Okay...

Checked out John5 - Yupper, a real picker for sure.

The "look" at my age tended to be offputting a bit, and ain't really doing what trips my trigger, but sheesh, the guy can play.

m

Totally agree. His theatrics distract from his playing more than any other musician I know about.

Prince is an animal on the fretboard.

I will add to this thread Popa Chubby. He's got emotion comin out the ying yang.

I haven't bought a guitar mag in 20 years so I may be out to lunch. But I never heard of him until recently. He's awesome. Check him out.

+1 on both Prince and Popa Chubby. And if you haven't seen Popa live, try to. He's one of those acts that really shine live IMO. Bummed I'll miss his show next month at my favorite watering hole back home, as I'll probably be here in Florida still. Check out his live release "Big Man, Big Guitar" if you can.

I'm not a big fan of his newer stuff, but I have his first release and it kicks a$$! There's a video on Youtube of him and Walter Trout playing together.

Walter Trout is underrated as well. He takes a lot of flack from "blues purists" for playing fast. I would call him a blues shredder. But I don't think he's really a "shredder", he just doesn't hold back and practice restraint, which is what I like. He's great with dynamics, too.

'

Well, Walter Trout isn't underrated according to his bass player. Sat and talked with him a bit in a (now closed [sad] ) club in Jupiter Florida where he lives last year. Tells me Walter is probably in the top 6 guitarists in the world. We all know how that rating thing goes. I do think Walter is one of the greats, I have no doubt. Can't put a number on him though, and for my money it would not be a single digit.

On that genre, what about Jim Thackery? Underrated, or is he as well known as his playing warrants? I think underrated myself.

Slavestate, thanks for posting that West Bruce and Laing reference, I'd forgotten about that album (a friend had it, always wanted it too, should have picked it up). Don't know as Leslie West is underrated though, I think he's widely accredited as a great guitarist.

I'll add a few. Michael Burks, unfortunately passed away earlier this year. I think he deserved far more recognition than he was getting (and he was getting some).

Two more from me. Shawn Starsky, formerly with the harp player Jason Ricci and New Blood. To me, this guy is fantastic, everything he plays just seems "right", just real well done music.

Lastly, out of St. Petersburg Florida, Sean Chambers. This is an up and coming act. Went home from FL to my local Blues Club raving about him to the owner, said he was already talking with him. He played there about 5-6 weeks ago. Currently in Ohio, then the East Coast before coming back here. Looking forward to seeing them play again when they get back, here's a Youtube clip, and his website (3 or 4 of his tracks are looped on the website, worth listening too!).

Website here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEeX3xtnwV8&feature=related

I'm not a big fan of his newer stuff, but I have his first release and it kicks a$$! There's a video on Youtube of him and Walter Trout playing together.

Walter Trout is underrated as well. He takes a lot of flack from "blues purists" for playing fast. I would call him a blues shredder. But I don't think he's really a "shredder", he just doesn't hold back and practice restraint, which is what I like. He's great with dynamics, too.

'

I'm not so sure I would categorize Walter Trout as underrated. He's a classic now. That said I have never seen the footage of him and Popa Chubby together so thanks for that.

That was a treat to see.

As for purists of any kind, I don't much care for the elitist attitude. If I like what I hear that's enough for me.

And with Walter and/or Popa,, I definitely like what I hear.

Cheers man,, good thread you started here.

+1 on both Prince and Popa Chubby. And if you haven't seen Popa live, try to. He's one of those acts that really shine live IMO. Bummed I'll miss his show next month at my favorite watering hole back home, as I'll probably be here in Florida still. Check out his live release "Big Man, Big Guitar" if you can.

I will go see him the first chance I get. I hope he comes close to where I live. Not much for traveling for concerts anymore. Did that lot's in my youth. I'm old(ish) now...lol.

Seeing as I never really did a top 5 as was the initial intent of Kaleb's thread I will do my best to complete it now. And since I have already quoted 2, I will use them as my one and two..lol

In no particular order.

1) Prince

2) Popa Chubby

3) G.E. Smith

4) Andy McKee

5) Robert Fripp

I personally don't consider Fripp underrated. But I saw him live in King Crimson with Belew, Bruford and Levin. Amazing bunch of musicians. Fripp sat in the back of the stage with low lighting. After the concert my friend(who doesn't play an instrument) said he was totally unimpressed with Fripp and expected more. I couldn't believe my ears. As a player I watched Fripp intently through binoculars. He was mind blowing. Yet his efforts were not even acknowledged by my buddy. I couldn't believe it.

So for this reason I qualify him as underrated.

If you never heard of Andy Mckee, this clip is really cool.

Seeing as I never really did a top 5 as was the initial intent of Kaleb's thread I will do my best to complete it now. And since I have already quoted 2, I will use them as my one and two..lol

In no particular order.

1) Prince

2) Popa Chubby

3) G.E. Smith

4) Andy McKee

5) Robert Fripp

I personally don't consider Fripp underrated. But I saw him live in King Crimson with Belew, Bruford and Levin. Amazing bunch of musicians. Fripp sat in the back of the stage with low lighting. After the concert my friend(who doesn't play an instrument) said he was totally unimpressed with Fripp and expected more. I couldn't believe my ears. As a player I watched Fripp intently through binoculars. He was mind blowing. Yet his efforts were not even acknowledged by my buddy. I couldn't believe it.

So for this reason I qualify him as underrated.

If you never heard of Andy Mckee, this clip is really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

+1 for G.E. Smith. He's simply amazing.

I got some more!

1. G.E. Smith (Hall & Oats/Bob Dylan/SNL Band/Roger Waters/solo)

2. Snowy White (Pink Floyd/Thin Lizzy/Roger Waters)

3. Warren DeMartini (Ratt)

4. Adam Jones (Tool)

5. Vinnie Vincent (KISS/Vinnie Vincent Invasion)

Okay...

Checked out John5 - Yupper, a real picker for sure.

The "look" at my age tended to be offputting a bit, and ain't really doing what trips my trigger, but sheesh, the guy can play.

m

The "look" put me off for a long time. I never cared for make up, although I do like a big stage show with props and costume changes like Iron Maiden and Ozzy. But I never cared much for traditional clown, so it stands to reason I wouldn't like Rock and Roll clowns.

The "look" put me off for a long time. I never cared for make up, although I do like a big stage show with props and costume changes like Iron Maiden and Ozzy. But I never cared much for traditional clown, so it stands to reason I wouldn't like Rock and Roll clowns.

There's no way in hell I would ever wear makeup or use pyro. I would look like an idiot with makeup, and if I used pyro I'd be standing in the wrong place and get blown to bits. You can't choreograph me. My theatrics have to be spontanious.

Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Rob Zombie, and Alice Cooper do very well with the big shows. I don't really care for makeup except for KISS (at least pre-Dynasty KISS....), who made it work. John 5 looks like a clown from hell (he was in Marilyn Manson...), but I'm absolutely fine with that. It makes him different.

Fashon is not important to me, I just wear onstage what I would wear on the street. Sometimes I dress up, but it's usually for sh!ts n' giggles. I'd wear leather pants. I'd even wear a velvet robe if I could!

This stems from my love of bands like AC/DC and Thin Lizzy. They're entertaining yet they look normal. You don't have to dress up to be entertaining.

I once saw a video where Tom Petty was explaining his disdain for big hair and leotards. He's flashy in a different way.

Sorry, but I can't do necklaces and chains and fancy shirts and stained jeans and the like. I'd look like a fool.

When I dress up, I don't take it too seriously. I'm just a goofy guitar player....

There's no way in hell I would ever wear makeup or use pyro. I would look like an idiot with makeup, and if I used pyro I'd be standing in the wrong place and get blown to bits. You can't choreograph me. My theatrics have to be spontanious.

Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Rob Zombie, and Alice Cooper do very well with the big shows. I don't really care for makeup except for KISS (at least pre-Dynasty KISS....), who made it work. John 5 looks like a clown from hell (he was in Marilyn Manson...), but I'm absolutely fine with that. It makes him different.

Fashon is not important to me, I just wear onstage what I would wear on the street. Sometimes I dress up, but it's usually for sh!ts n' giggles. I'd wear leather pants. I'd even wear a velvet robe if I could!

This stems from my love of bands like AC/DC and Thin Lizzy. They're entertaining yet they look normal. You don't have to dress up to be entertaining.

I once saw a video where Tom Petty was explaining his disdain for big hair and leotards. He's flashy in a different way.

Sorry, but I can't do necklaces and chains and fancy shirts and stained jeans and the like. I'd look like a fool.

When I dress up, I don't take it too seriously. I'm just a goofy guitar player....

I was in Marching Band, Concert Band, and Jazz Band. My favorite was Concert Band because we got to dress "Casual but Nice", so to this day I like to dress "Casual but Nice". Nice pants, silk shirts, and Either dress shoes or black vans. Every girls crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

I was in Marching Band, Concert Band, and Jazz Band. My favorite was Concert Band because we got to dress "Casual but Nice", so to this day I like to dress "Casual but Nice". Nice pants, silk shirts, and Either dress shoes or black vans. Every girls crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

I don't care how anyone dresses just as long as they're being themselves.

Rush got some laughs back in the day from the kimonos...

But who else was wearing them?

That's what makes it so cool!

I usually go with jeans and t-shirts, as that's what I'm physically comfortable with (sometimes I wear sweatpants or dress shirts). Although I don't like to copy people, sometimes I shoot for the classic Malcolm Young look. A rugged t-shirt and worn jeans. I find it cool that even though he has all the money in the world, he still looks like an ordinary average guy (Joe Walsh!) you'd find in a bar just mindin' his own business, shootin' the sh!t with the bartender. Y'know, you don't hear many stories about those guys. They seem to be just like us! Only they pack large venues!

Fresh Garbage!

"Uncle Jack" was one of my favorites too from the first album. The entire Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus album was and is great. "Mr. Skin", and "When I Touch You" off of Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus album in particular.

Spirit-1970-Twelve_Dreams_of_Dr-Sardonicus.jpg

One thing that hits me about outfits etc...

Given certain types of stage lighting, I can easily understand some basic stage makeup. In some cases you can look pretty bad without - although it should be done IMHO so you look like you in normal lighting.

Another point I never thought of but was brought to my attention by a lady who had produced bundles of stage shows: if your singing is your thing, wear clothing that de-emphasizes the guitar; if you're emphasizing your playing, dress to show the guitar. E.g., a plaintop or light colored guitar, wear dark shirt to show it or light shirt to de-emphasize it.

I also find it interesting that the guitar player "masters" of the past, regardless of style, tended to dress as we might consider "conservative." E.g., BB, Segovia, heck, even the rolling stones reflected their age group's style of dress.

OTOH, as stage shows and performance revenues as opposed to recording sales took business precedence, I note the emphasis on wilder stuff. Again, that seems to me to cross various genres.

m

I don't care how anyone dresses just as long as they're being themselves.

I agree, but I also believe that a performer should be somewhat larger than life, or at least stand out from the crowd they're performing for. Bruce Springsteen for instance. T-shirt, jeans, and a bandana in the back pocket. However, the T-shirt is exaggerated, the Blue Jeans professionally ripped for best stage presence, and an over sized bandana so the back row can see it.

I agree, but I also believe that a performer should be somewhat larger than life, or at least stand out from the crowd they're performing for. Bruce Springsteen for instance. T-shirt, jeans, and a bandana in the back pocket. However, the T-shirt is exaggerated, the Blue Jeans professionally ripped for best stage presence, and an over sized bandana so the back row can see it.

I like sunglasses, worn out jeans (or leather pants if I'm in the mood), and the coolest t-shirts I have. And I usually wear some kind of jacket for extra effect (which I remove during the set).

I used to wear fedoras and baseball caps until I grew my hair out.

I like sunglasses, worn out jeans (or leather pants if I'm in the mood), and the coolest t-shirts I have. And I usually wear some kind of jacket for extra effect (which I remove during the set).

I used to wear fedoras and baseball caps until I grew my hair out.

I have a white Levi Jacket I do that with sometimes. [thumbup]

• 4 months later...

Whilst not entirely a thread from the dead...

I was playing about with some Danny Kirwan phrases and realised I knew next to nothing about him as a person so 'Googled' him.

Wow.

Pretty much everyone knows about Peter Green's health problems and how he was rehabilitated but Kirwan's case is more saddening; especially in the days since he gave up playing. The second link has more detail on this aspect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/danny.htm

Considering his input from 'Albatross', 'Need Your Love So Bad', 'Man of the World' etc...etc... through seven Fleetwood Mac albums (on four of which he wrote half the tracks), his solo projects and his collaborations to have ended up destitute is a tragedy.

P.

Whilst not entirely a thread from the dead...

I was playing about with some Danny Kirwan phrases and realised I knew next to nothing about him as a person so 'Googled' him.

Wow.

Pretty much everyone knows about Peter Green's health problems and how he was rehabilitated but Kirwan's case is more saddening; especially in the days since he gave up playing. The second link has more detail on this aspect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/danny.htm

Considering his input from 'Albatross', 'Need Your Love So Bad', 'Man of the World' etc...etc... through seven Fleetwood Mac albums (on four of which he wrote half the tracks), his solo projects and his collaborations to have ended up destitute is a tragedy.

P.

That's a strange coincidence because I was thinking about Danny Kirwan the other day too. I can't remember the tune's title (one of Danny's) but it sounds a bit like a bluesy "Pink Panther" and I was fiddling about with that. I'll have to read the links now to find out what happened to him.

I never understood why some FM stuff seemed 'easy' to me and other, similar sounding, stuff seemed 'tricky' until I realised that I 'got' the PG-penned licks and the others - which I definitely didn't 'get' as easily - were always DK's.

Jigsaw Puzzle Blues (although a Venuti composition) always baffled me until the days of the internet arrived and I could download the Tab. Great to play if you nail it......................[scared]

Kirwan wrote some of my favourite, and most-played, FM tracks; 'Something Inside of Me' being a prime example.

Wonderful phrasing and construction.

P.

I reckon if there is a recording of these guys and they're known by people in this forum, they're not underrated.

I call the studio guitar players who lend their chops to famous people and don't get more than their name on the record (which they're grateful for because making a living with a six string is hard enough, I'm sure) underrated. The guitar players who play with Britney Spears and Madonna, who sit in on an anime soundtrack recording session...these guys clock in, do their job, give what is required by the visionary and clock out. I'm sure sometimes they're bored with the simplicity of what is required of them, but it still takes skill and the ability to tolerate hearing yourself play rubbish most your life. I'm sure other times they are given artistic leave and it makes up for everything to know people around the world will hear their little creation for generations to come.

Example: Get 9, from the Ghost in the Shell anime series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqueqtgHeNU

Archived