Richard Wagner- alice cooper

Pete Willis - early def leppard

Ulrich Roth (uli jon) - 70'scorpions, electric sun

John Denver - hell of an acoustic picker

Ed King- early Skynyrd

all the Molly Hatchet guitarists

Phil Keaggy

Okay, the thread's returned to life.

I'd say I know at least three very underrated pickers who are in saloons every week playing music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s both "rock" and "country" in a dozen variations rather than playing one style regularly in a "name" sorta band.

In fact, I'm personally far more impressed hearing some of the now-forgotten old guys from the 50s forward playing material far, far afield from that which they're credited for - and I'll wager at least some of it is material they were quite capable of playing when they were known for some relatively simple guitar stuff that was "popular" as the electric guitar became increasingly part of the general music scene.

Nothing against guys - or girls - who are good at one style of music, but the tip of my had goes to the guy who can do four or five different genres, flat or fingerpicking...

And too often it seems this sort of conversation is dominated as much by, "who plays his/her style well" as opposed to "who is a marvelously rounded picker" since we're doggone never gonna hear so many of them outside a given style.

As for clothing... when I do a "cowboy song solo" I wear what I wear to work pretty much, although I take my hat off in the office. Rock or country I'd probably take the lazy way and leave on my hat. But were I do do a jazz or blues gig, I'd likely wear at least a coat and tie. But then, I guess I'm reflecting my age. Never saw John Lee Hooker on stage in jeans and shirtsleeves without a tie.

In fact, if you ask me, the whole "casual" thing actually emerged from a bunch of middle class white kids pretending to be blue-collar workers on stage back in the era when I was in college. Meanwhile the real "blue collar" types wore suits. It's funny, really.

m

Bang on with most of that milod.

I was at the 1968 Jazz and Rock Reading Festival and Deep Purple made an appearance dressed in "stage dress". They were reviled by the middle class audience at the time.

Fashon is not important to me, I just wear onstage what I would wear on the street. Sometimes I dress up, but it's usually for sh!ts n' giggles. I'd wear leather pants. I'd even wear a velvet robe if I could!

This stems from my love of bands like AC/DC and Thin Lizzy. They're entertaining yet they look normal. You don't have to dress up to be entertaining.

I find this hilarious [laugh] especially the highlighted part =D>

That Bedlam record is a good one for sure.

I love Robin Trower, especially his Bridge Of Sighs record.

I can never get enough of this record:

It's such a good vibe.

Alvin Lee has a soft spot in my heart. His guitar playing always gets me going.

A buddy of mine has been giving me a ton of Leslie West records and I really enjoy this one:

I was fortunate enough to see him play earlier this year with Uli Jon Roth. What a great gig.

There are so many underrated guitarists out there, however I feel that's the beauty of the journey of music in that you're able to stumble across artists that invoke a serious love for music.

Great thread.

I've seen Leslie West from his Mountain days on. A fine guitarist. He and Jack Bruce played well together, but there was magic when he and Felix Pappalardi played together in Mountain. RIP Felix P.

Philip Sayce of Toronto Canada,certainly isn't a household name but he has toured with some pretty big acts backing them up as lead guitarist.His playing style is best described as an amalgam of Jeff Healey,Buddy Guy,Jimi Hendrix and Albert King.The guy is absolutely brilliant and inspiring to watch.There are several videos of him on You Tube.

I also agree with the guys who posted Prince as being under rated.Prince can really make a guitar wail and there is a video of him on stage with several other top ranked guitarists playing George Harrison's "While my Guitar..." and he mops up the stage with the rest of them when he pulls out all the stops.

Philip Sayce of Toronto Canada,certainly isn't a household name but he has toured with some pretty big acts backing them up as lead guitarist.His playing style is best described as an amalgam of Jeff Healey,Buddy Guy,Jimi Hendrix and Albert King.The guy is absolutely brilliant and inspiring to watch.There are several videos of him on You Tube.

I also agree with the guys who posted Prince as being under rated.Prince can really make a guitar wail and there is a video of him on stage with several other top ranked guitarists playing George Harrison's "While my Guitar..." and he mops up the stage with the rest of them when he pulls out all the stops.

I agree with Phillip Sayce - looks like Richie is out of a job!

Richie Scarlet, man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKuAaAnsTko

I know, it's hard to believe he was Ace Frehley's right hand man for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arSRUle_Iw

Ace really should have resurrected this lineup when he started touring again in 07' (nothing against the new guys, they're great). The bass player here, Karl Cochran, is also a badass guitar player. His gig with Ace was his first as a bassist. Both he and Richie can sing like mother****ers, too. Ace should've let them two sing more songs. Let's face it, Ace might just have the worst singing voice ever, especially when he was drunk (although it sounds perfect on songs like "Shock Me", "New York Groove" and "2,000 Man"). At least he doesn't cheat. His playing and his epic laugh make up for it.

This right here is my definition of NY style rock n' roll.

Also, the LP he's got in the second vid is something you don't see everyday. A 1988 Showcase Special Standard (LTD!) in Silverburst with stock EMGs!

Yeah, a lotta people knew about Mundell Lowe decades ago, but only a few recognize the name today.

So I guess one should say "lesser known" rather than "underrated," 'cuz generations of real pros knew him as a consummate music man and guitarist.

Description of a "musician" fits him better than most. Name it, from playing in bands and combos with top "name" musicians to writing and performing stuff for top motion pictures and television... the guy who left home at 13 did it. You've almost certainly heard some of his work. Born in 1922 and still touring in 2011...

I first heard of, and heard Lowe, was on an old Ruby Braff album that's now long gone. Braff was an incredible trumpet/cornet player who played his thing and was, I've read, ornerier than I am - and didn't always get away with that attitude regardless that he had twice the talent of the average player. My folks got me the album 'cuz I was playing trumpet at the time and getting into a kinda combined jazz/rock groove of the late '50s and early '60s.

That Lowe guitar playing was so nicely tasteful, saying everything in a relaxed style that you didn't even notice the guy was hitting more notes per bar than guys known for playing fast. I didn't realize literally for decades how much impact it had on me although I'd been playing guitar in other styles, concepts and techniques.

Here's one with a relatively short intro.

Archived