Gibson Brands Forums

Whats factory strings are on a J45?

The dman

hey guys

I stumbled upon and bought a J45 that sounds beautiful and I've been playing it so much the strings are going on it. I wanted to know what Gibson is using from the factory now and what strings you guys have like on your J45. I like non coated better than coated but I'm keeping my mind open before I settle on a string that I like. I have always used and liked 13's. Suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Usually Gibson Masterbuilt strings, but I believe some folk have said that has changed recently.

Although they're much lambasted I actually really like the Gibson Masterbuilt strings, however I don't have very acidic hands so I get a decent while out of them, for some people who do have acidic sweat they last a bit shorter before going dull.

was recently posted that theyre using exp coated strings lately.

i have tried a couple , elixirs sounded nice , but theyre way too expensive for me, john pearse , d'addarios in 12's all sound good to me , differences are very subtle .

my most recent strings are d'addario 11's which i thought i'd try after a long session left me fingers a bit tender . the loss of volume is negligable neglagible , negllig......... hardly noticable :)

great guitar , hard to go wrong i think , apart , for me anyway , martin strings which last me about 5 minutes then die

happy pluckin. welcome to the club :)

Usually Gibson Masterbuilt strings, but I believe some folk have said that has changed recently.

Although they're much lambasted I actually really like the Gibson Masterbuilt strings, however I don't have very acidic hands so I get a decent while out of them, for some people who do have acidic sweat they last a bit shorter before going dull.

Do you know if the stock strings are 13's? they feel like it because 12's usually wimp out too much for my playing style and these don't...and I agree I do like the feel of whatever is on this guitar

D'addario exp 11 bronze 12 - 53. Sound amazin, feel great and usually last me about 6 weeks. Slightly coated. Tried different gauges and makes but always return to these. 2010 gibson j45 standard is my hog.

Of course it all depends on how you play, but...if you like 13s, then that suggests to mind you may be more of a strummer than a fingerpicker. I had curious problem myself when I finally settled on a D-42 as a fingerpicker, a purchase that had the effect of relegating my old Heritage to a strummer. I finally settled on 12.5-55s, 80/20s for the Heritage, a choice, I found, that worked out pretty well. The strings have enough tension to keep the volume up and a nice brightness that the old rosewood can't quite subdue. Plus, they're not so heavy that you can't do some John Hurt or Doc Watson on them if you like.

Archived