Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Worn Brown

ModalMood

New to the forum. Great stuff!

What do you guys think about the Les Paul Studio Worn Brown? I was thinking of getting a Tribute model but I heard nightmare stories about their finish. Obviously I don't have a ton of cash to dump. I just was a basic workingman's LP that will play and sound great, and hold its value. I can get one with straplocks (but no HC) for $600. Maybe a little lower. Is this a good deal? Will I be happy? Thanks.

This is pretty subjective so you can generally get a range of differing opinions but, on your budget and compared to the competition, any faded Gibson model represents good value for money IMHO. This is because you don't pay for expensive extra layers of nitro lacquer and fancy binding/inlays but still get a USA made guitar with excellent quality components, woods and craftsmanship.

Only you can really tell if you like the feel and sound of that guitar and whether you'd be happy with the colour. Gibson does occasionally send out poorly finished guitars so try before buying if you can, or be prepared to return if going via the mail order route.

Yes I think they are great (my brother in law has one).. The thing about the worn brown ones is that they have Burstbucker Pros in them, that are I think better than the usual studio pickups..

It IS very subjective as mentioned above.. If you have guitars shops around you, go play as many as you can.. Even the same model and make can play and feel slightly different as they are all hand finished so, no two are exactly alike... and it also depends on the type of neck you like.. These studios have a 50s neck which is the chunkier one.. but there are now studios with a 60s neck (the tributes are great, you just have to make sure you find a good one. I have a 60s Tribute Goldtop).

If you dont have guitar shops around you and have to mail order.. Then yes id say they are, for the price, as good as you will get :)

Thanks guys. I should have said I'd like it to look good too. Which brings me to this... I may be mistaken but some of the older Studio Worn Browns that I've seen seem to be carved of one piece of wood (like an SG Faded) with the same grain on the top back and sides, whereas newer ones (like the one I played in GC last night) seem to have a top that's smooth and has some interesting grain figuring. Am I off my rocker?

Yea, I'm stoked about the BB Pros. The one I played last night sounded FANTASTIC.

Here're some pix:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/3162332141.html

Thanks!!

Thanks guys. I should have said I'd like it to look good too. Which brings me to this... I may be mistaken but some of the older Studio Worn Browns that I've seen seem to be carved of one piece of wood (like an SG Faded) with the same grain on the top back and sides, whereas newer ones (like the one I played in GC last night) seem to have a top that's smooth and has some interesting grain figuring. Am I off my rocker?

Yea, I'm stoked about the BB Pros. The one I played last night sounded FANTASTIC.

Here're some pix:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/3162332141.html

Thanks!!

Yes thats right.. The old ones had a mahogany top (still done in the same way, glued on top so its not solid (I dont think anyway, you can tell if you look at the side you will see the line where they join). But yes I believe the newer ones have a Maple top (like most Les Pauls).. Both are good :) (and that one in the link looks great [thumbup] )

Yes thats right.. The old ones had a mahogany top (still done in the same way, glued on top so its not solid (I dont think anyway, you can tell if you look at the side you will see the line where they join). But yes I believe the newer ones have a Maple top (like most Les Pauls).. Both are good :) (and that one in the link looks great [thumbup] )

+1. ...and what makes this guitar special is that it recalls the original Les Paul Custom of the fifties. Those had mahogany tops too. Cheers... Bence

Got it tonight. Here she is:

Sweeeet :) [thumbup]

Thats awesome...

Also if you havent seen it theres a Studio Club here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/16077-the-studio-club/ 21 pages of peoples Gibson Studios :) and if you want to post more and bigger pictures you can use www.photobucket.com just copy the IMG ling into your post..

Happy playing man, you got yourself a great guitar there [thumbup]

Wow, that was quick.

Many congrats!

Thanks. Yea, I'm impulsive. Gets me into trouble sometimes! ](*,)

But in my defense, there was another guy coming to see it and I might've lost it if I waited. Around here, $600 is significantly lower than the others I saw.

Question: The guitar came with Burstbucker Pros which sound pretty good to me but get terrible reviews on the forums. I think I'd like to try something else just to see what kind of difference it makes. I want a vintage tone (PAF? Alnico II?) and would prefer not to break the bank on a $300 set of pups. I've read a lot of good things about Tonerider. I'm particularly intrigued by the Alnico Classic Set AC2 and the Alnico IV Classic Set AC4. Each are around $100 for the set.

http://www.tonerider.com/pickups/humbuckers.html

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? Thanks guys. So glad I found this forum!

But in my defense, there was another guy coming to see it and I might've lost it if I waited. Around here, $600 is significantly lower than the others I saw.

Question: The guitar came with Burstbucker Pros which sound pretty good to me but get terrible reviews on the forums. I think I'd like to try something else just to see what kind of difference it makes. I want a vintage tone (PAF? Alnico II?) and would prefer not to break the bank on a $300 set of pups. I've read a lot of good things about Tonerider. I'm particularly intrigued by the Alnico Classic Set AC2 and the Alnico IV Classic Set AC4. Each are around $100 for the set.

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? Thanks guys. So glad I found this forum!

Alot of people rate the 57s

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=gibson+57s&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6845611084389817119&sa=X&ei=JhoTUKvRJqq50QWtt4DQAg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA

Don't get too impulsive though! IMO, all Gibson pups are very good and the differences between them are usually very subtle. It would be much better to take time to "find" your new guitar. Experiment with EQ/tone/gain settings and perhaps then amp choice and/or effects before thinking about new pickups. It wouldn't make a great deal of sense to shell out another half of what you spent on the whole guitar because of a few internet reviews that are based on signal chains which don't match yours.

If you want vintage tone, you'll want a low output pickup. I don't have the chart that shows the output levels of all of Gibson's pickups, on this computer, but it seems to me the '57's are fairly hot. I would advise that you give the Burstbuckers a little time and worry more about what you hear than what you read.

I recently saw someone post that they didn't like the pu's that I have in one of my guitars. I asked why. He said they were too clean for him. You know what, that's what I like about them.

And thanks for talking me off the ledge regarding the BBPs. I've been playing now for a couple of hours through my Deluxe Reverb and the f&*king thing sounds like a piano when played clean (which is what I'm doing almost exclusively). The bass is so crisp, heavy and resonant. Of course it's also good with gain. But the real character of the entire package comes out in the clean tones. Other 'buckers I've played have been mid-heavy. The BBPs seem more even (flat?) across the frequency spectrum. Well, in my rig they are. And I don't care what anyone says, they are not bright and harsh. They are fine [thumbup]

And thanks for talking me off the ledge regarding the BBPs. I've been playing now for a couple of hours through my Deluxe Reverb and the f&*king thing sounds like a piano when played clean (which is what I'm doing almost exclusively). The bass is so crisp, heavy and resonant. Of course it's also good with gain. But the real character of the entire package comes out in the clean tones. Other 'buckers I've played have been mid-heavy. The BBPs seem more even (flat?) across the frequency spectrum. Well, in my rig they are. And I don't care what anyone says, they are not bright and harsh. They are fine [thumbup]

Yeah I had a similar experience with my 2008 Standard which also has BBPs on it..

At first for some reason I was a bit unhappy with the sound.. but the more I played it the more I loved it :) and now I wouldnt trade it for anything... I think it just takes a short while to get used to a guitar...

So.. happy playing... that really is a good choice you made I think [thumbup]

these are my main LPs :)

DSC01788.jpg

Ha! It's a Road Worn. Factory relic (but a joke compared to Custom Shop or a boutique maker like Danocaster :-) I like it because the neck is worn down smooth and the niro finish is so much nicer than poly. Which are two of the reasons I like this LP.

Whoah! I only WISH I had a '57. Looks to be in perfect condition. All I can say is "Emjoy It". Like I know you do.

Mike

Archived