Gibson Brands Forums

Red Sheraton II-Legit?

mbrooks0711

Hey guys, I love Sheraton's and I thought I knew it all, but this ones got me stumped. Is this a legit Cherry Red Sheraton? I haven't ever seen one even mentioned before.

My link

I'm wondering because I'm within driving distance of this guy, and I'd like to have a shot at it if it's legit.

Mark Brooks

so rare i've never seen or heard of one before, either. it does look legit, or rather, i do believe late 80s korean sheratons have that label and headstock shape. so i don't know. a shot of the label inside would help, but that is conspicuously absent. cant see why someone would bother to refin one, though. so maybe ask for more info and photos.

or maybe you can just quit being a damn sheraton hog and save some for everyone else, buddy. :P

Looks legit to me. Never seen a Cherry one before although it rings a bell - pretty sure I've heard of someone having a late 80s Sheraton in red before. They look great in red, always seemed odd that they wouldn't offer it as a standard finish.

Good luck with it if you decide to go for it.

If it is a late 80s Korean (Samick) Sheraton II it should have "Epiphone by Gibson" on the front of the headstock, IMO

I've seen Wine Red ones, never a cherry like this ???

It could still be a 1989 model, and from what I can tell of the serial number sticker, it looks like a 9 as the first digit. The bridge is correct for that time frame as well.

Rare or not, that is one ugly looking sheraton. Lacks all the class and elegance of what a sheraton is supposed to represent compared to a dot...

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I like it, and find it a refreshing change from the typical Sheraton II (having the original pickguard would be ideal). The limited-run white version is another cool one. What I've never particularly cared for are dark sunburst finishes, and especially the mickey-mouse-eared look. It is interesting to note that vintage Sheratons from the '60s were available in Gibson's cherry red finish.

Did you buy it? I also dislike those modern sunbursts. I think red sheratons should be brought back. It would make a huge different with the pickguard and those pickups and surround cheapen the effect somewhat.

Something like this with a pickguard would be exquisite: Epiphone-Sheraton-1966-red-b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did you buy it? I also dislike those modern sunbursts. I think red sheratons should be brought back. It would make a huge different with the pickguard and those pickups and surround cheapen the effect somewhat.

Something like this with a pickguard would be exquisite: Epiphone-Sheraton-1966-red-b.jpg

Except that somebody replaced the mini-hums (which is what made those original Sheratons so great in the first place) with new full sized hb's. <_<

Archived