Gibson Brands Forums

Non Guitar Related Topic. The London Olympics

albertjohn

London 2012 has already started although the opening ceremony is later tonight.

For the benefit of our Cousins from across the pond, here is an anon. explanation of British nationality taken from the BBC website.

The English are British and lots of people think the British are English but that annoys the Scottish and Welsh because although some think they're British and some think they aren't and some think they are but don't want to be, they all agree that they definitely are not English. The Irish mostly think they are Irish, apart from the ones who are Northern Irish. Some say that makes them British and Irish. But others disagree and say they should just be Irish and then some say they aren't British either but part of the United Kingdom. People from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland can all play cricket for England because they're British as can those from Ireland even though they aren't British. So can South Africans. The English play football for England unless they aren't that good when they might try to play for Ireland. Those from the Isle of Wight are English, from Anglesey are Welsh and the Orkneys are Scottish, but although that means they aren't from the island of Great Britain they're still British. The Channel Islanders depend on the crown which is what the Queen wears but they aren't in the UK and those from the Isle of Man are the same, apart from their cats.

I see the Scots are coming in for a bit of criticism for not singing along to the national anthem, good on them I say... although not often used now, the song does contain the line "rebellious Scots to crush", would English sports fans sing along to an anti-English song in its original form, I highly doubt it... I hope to see all Scots participants refuse to sing that song.

Instead I think we should sing this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJBLlTNQ9c

Not being familiar with the term Pommy Whinger, I was forced to retreat to Google for an explanation of the term. O.K., now I've got it.

On first sighting of the term, I thought it was related to...well, let's just say that I had it wrong and leave it at that.

Best regards to our friends across the Atlantic (I'll be there 5 weeks from tomorrow!)

MJ

Yeah,

I don't know why we sing god save the queen at England games, I always thought it should have been land of hope and glory [thumbup] .

Agreed. England's Barmy Army like Jerusalem.

Yours truly

Whinging Pom!

Ps. A mate of mine is the facilities manager for the velodrome. He reckons the opening ceremony is something very special. I'll be watching it in the pub with a pint of London Pride.

Agreed. England's Barmy Army like Jerusalem.

I'm married to an English woman, my brother is English by birth (in fact I was the only Scottish child in our house), the vast majority of my mates here are English, I've never met anyone who thinks it should be God save the Queen.

Archived