Gibson Brands Forums

Jim Dunlop Formula 65 Cleaners and SG 61 Reissue

r167

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any experience is using the Dunlop 65 Formula polish on their 61 SG reissue? It says on the Dunlop website that it's OK to use on nitro finishes but they don't recommend it to be used on "old and thin" finishes. I know the 61 Reissue doesn't have an old finish, but is it thin?

As long as your finish is still a glossy finish, or you don't have any really deep scratches or checking/cracked finish, you should be 100% fine to use it. I have used Dunlop Formula 65 for about 3 years now with no issues on my gloss finished Gibsons. I wouldn't even consider using it on a "faded" model or a satin finished guitar. It isn't that it will soak in or anything, it's just that on the satin models, there's not enough grain filler in the wood, so you will get wax dried white in the wood pores that you will likely never get out ;)

Thanks for the input, guys. I think it should be OK. I think that I will try a little on the guitar, in an inconspicuous area, and then see what happens. I'm sure it will be OK though.

Archived