Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone/Gibson mystery guitar, need help

esitduk1

I'm looking at a guitar. The guitar looks like a Les Paul, but it does not say "Les Paul" anywhere on the guitar. The attached pic, securedownload2.jpg shows the head with the Epiphone brand AND the Gibson brand. There are no other markings on the head. There is a sticker on the back that says that it was "inspected and setup in the USA by 25". The sticker also carries the Epiphone icon. So much for the head.

The neck is a bolt on, with dot inlays, not trapezoid inlays. The guitar is a cherry sunburst pattern

The front of the body (securedownload 1(3).jpg) shows the body which is not flat, and has no pickguard.

The last attachment (securedownload1(2).jpg) shows the plate with the Epiphone stamp and serial number on the back of the guitar. The serial number is MC23030361. I have run that number through several databases and they all come back with the same information. Made by Muse, in China (hence the MC) in the month of March in 1923. They give no information about the model of the guitar. There is NO way that this guitar was made in 1923.

I am left with two lines of thought: 1. The guitar is a fake which explains the bogus serial number. OR 2. The neck has been replaced, perhaps by the manufacturer who changed the original serial number because of the retrofit.

If anyone has an educated guess about what I'm looking at, I'd appreciate hearing from you!

post-45846-063005800 1343412753_thumb.jpg

post-45846-034439400 1343412880_thumb.jpg

post-45846-078174100 1343412908_thumb.jpg

Yep, Les Paul Special.

It has the arched top, not flat, which made me think it was some sort of Les Paul, but the bolted on neck with the dot inlays are more in the line of an LP100 (which it is not) I know it's not a "special II", but I don't know that I've ever seen a "special". Thanks for your input.

It has the arched top, not flat, which made me think it was some sort of Les Paul, but the bolted on neck with the dot inlays are more in the line of an LP100 (which it is not) I know it's not a "special II", but I don't know that I've ever seen a "special". Thanks for your input.

I read your post wrong. I thought you said it had a flat top. OK, then. It is indeed a Les Paul-100. Its an early model and my date was wrong as well. The early models didnt have the gold "Les Paul" script on the headstock. They were blank like yours. The serial number would make yours a 1992 model. I said 2002 for the LP Special because they werent being made in 1992, and the first number of the serial indicates the year for models from 1986 up to 2011, I believe.

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Les_Paul_Numbered_Models#Les_Paul-100_Studio

If you look closely at some of the guitars in the link, you will see blank headstocks.

I read your post wrong. I thought you said it had a flat top. OK, then. It is indeed a Les Paul-100. Its an early model and my date was wrong as well. The early models didnt have the gold "Les Paul" script on the headstock. They were blank like yours. The serial number would make yours a 1992 model. I said 2002 for the LP Special because they werent being made in 1992, and the first number of the serial indicates the year for models from 1986 up to 2011, I believe.

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Les_Paul_Numbered_Models#Les_Paul-100_Studio

If you look closely at some of the guitars in the link, you will see blank headstocks.

I hit the wrong button. I see what you're saying about the blank heads. It looks like the 100-standard. I think you've found it for me. They had a 100 right next to it, but it was labeled on the head as a LP100. There were a few differences (minor) and for that reason, I didn't think that's what it was. Thanks.

That kind of makes it a relatively easy decision for me. I've been waiting to play it until I knew what it was, and while I'd like to tell you that if it played well and sounded good, then it wouldn't matter what it was, that wouldn't justify the price that they're asking for it. The new LP 100 standards only run around $250 and I've found them for around $210 with used ones for less than that. They're asking around $270 for this one used and unless someone convinces me that the older models are that much better than the new ones, I think I'll shoot them a much lower offer and walk away if they don't take it. It is a very well taken care of guitar, especially to be that old. Thanks so much for all your help.

No, the older models are not worth more than the new ones. I wouldnt pay any more for it than a typical used LP-100 of any year...condition considered, of course.

Also, the LP-100 Standard is the same guitar as the Studio, but renamed for the Japanese Market. Not sure why. The Studio-Standard had a flame maple veneer on the body. You dont see too many of the Studio-Standards.

Archived