Gibson Brands Forums

What is your ultimate goal as a musician?

DAS44

Pretty self explanatory, I'm curious... So what is it? Technical proficiency? Fame? An outlet?

"I enjoy it"/"Happiness" isn't the type of answer I'm looking for (it's implied, or it should be! I sure as hell enjoy it).

I'll have none of the "I'm not a musician, I'm a guitarist" junk either guys :P

On my end, musical variety... Again, explains itself.

I prefer not to set an "ultimate goal". Ultimate means the end. Once you've reached that goal, nothing else you do will ever exceed it. So I choose to set goals as I go, and always have another in mind before I complete the previous one. Always challenge yourself; absolutes are your enemy.

I prefer not to set an "ultimate goal". Ultimate means the end. Once you've reached that goal, nothing else you do will ever exceed it. So I choose to set goals as I go, and always have another in mind before I complete the previous one. Always challenge yourself; absolutes are your enemy.

I meant it to be implied that said goal is so absolutely unreachable that you'll never quite get there. Unless someone's goal is simple mediocrity.

So what do these goals work towards as a whole? A massive catalog songs you can toss out from memory? New technical skill mastery?

I think the simple infinitive used by FirstMeasure kinda nails it: To entertain.

That's a mouthful in two words.

Right now, and most of my life I've mostly played to entertain myself, but with spurts of gigs to entertain others.

I think they're two different things.

I think Leo Kottke is a very good and talented guitarist, but perhaps his greater talent comes as he found a niche with his offbeat sense of humor and take on performance, musical and otherwise. I'd like that sort of gig and reputation although I'm quite certain I lack Leo's talent on all fronts.

I wouldn't mind at some point playing in a band again, but there's a bit of the cynic in me that questions whether that's "worth it" or not if there isn't some more direct sort of a paycheck that is a measure of one's entertainment quotient.

Yeah, I always am looking to improve and broaden my playing skills. In fact, I think sometimes that can become almost a detriment in that practice for skill overwhelms practice for performance. They're different things.

If my playing helps keep me happy and entertains me, and my performances entertain others... I figure I'm getting as close to a goal as a musician as you can put into words.

But then as I almost hit the "reply" button, I thought of last night when I was helping a 50-something guy figure how he could learn how to play a guitar he was sold, but with nasty strings and a painfully high action - all without any instruction on anything at all by a store that mostly makes money on lessons...

m

I dont really think you can say to play just because you like it is not a valid answer.. (if your looking for it or not :))

We all pick up the guitar at different points in life and play for different reasons.. For some people just strumming at home to releive stress from work and such is as good a reason to play as someone who wants to be famous and make music for a living.

For me its really all of the things you say.. Id like to gig and entertain and make money from music but is unlikey to happen so I am now happy just learning new things that interest me.. Making music at home and with friends for fun.. (possibly doing some open mic nights)

And also mainly I do it for me.. Of all the things in my life music and playing the guitar is the one thing I can say thats really mine... I play because I enjoy it and want (i guess) to also emulate my heroes and make my own stamp even if no one else really hears it.. [thumbup]

But as I say... I think its all good... playing music can be a way of life too.

Ultimate Goal?...Gosh, that has changed, so many times, over the past 50 years, since I started

playing at 12. At first, I wanted to be a "Beach Boy," then...the "Fifth Beatle!" Later, to play

like EC, Mike Bloomfield, or Hendrix. When NONE of that happend, I quit, for 30 years! [flapper] LOL [biggrin]

Now, it's just to KEEP playing, keep these old (stiff, arthritic) fingers limbered up, the mind going,

and, whenever possible, to play out, in front of people, for their (and, (mostly) our own) enjoyment.

That's all, really.

CB

I dont really think you can say to play just because you like it is not a valid answer.. (if your looking for it or not :))

I didn't mean to say it wasn't valid at all, hell it's the most valid reason there is!

It's an outlet, and I enjoy entertaining. I've never had a problem getting-up in front of a bunch of people and making a fool out of myself. In addition, the old adage "women like guitar players" is true. Nothing earth-shaking for me. It's who I am as a person.

Great question... but I'm not sure you can really narrow the definition that much. My ultimate goal is to sound good. Which I do. At least my wife and I and our poddle GiGi think so. I figure if I "sound good" I'll be techinically proficient enough to be entertaining.... which I am, to said self, wife and poodle, GiGi.

Perhaps I should set a new goal to sound great. Maybe pick up a Marshall to go with my LP.

But dude, the reality is, for the rush I get when I play.

For that place my mind goes when I am lost in my music.

Because there is a muse in me that won't let me sleep sometimes until I get the song out of my head and into an amplifier....

these things say my REAL utlimate goal is to just _keep_playing.

To take whatever music is going through my head and have it transition through the guitar exactly as it is in my head. Most likely unobtainable at my skill level, though sometimes it does work if its simple enough.

Archived