Gibson Brands Forums

What is your ultimate goal as a musician?

DAS44

I am not motivated to any end. I am motivated to entertain myself, keep my mind active, learn what I can and apply it to my playing. I use playing as a mediation and a release. I learn songs, but I am happiest when improvising and playing purely by stream of consciousness... self-indulgent, but who cares, right? I realized a long time ago that my aptitude for playing guitar is probably average or below, so I have never had expectations to be great. Desire and practice can take you a lot farther.

Yes, I do have a set of goals. The first is my currant goal and the others are dependent on the preceding goal's accomplishment.

Time and me will tell if any are met and to the extent of them being met.

Currant goal is to play higher profile show's more often.

This is a good question and probably depends a lot on where you at in life and in your career as a musician. I know mine has sure changed a lot. It started out 30 some years ago honestly to have fun and pick up girls, hopefully in droves. Then after about five years it became a goal to play professionally make some money do a lot of gigs and even get on some albums even if it was as a studio musician. That was probably the longest phase in all honesty. Over the last five years or so I just want to enjoy music, make people happy and help a few young players reach some of there own goals. I'm happy now whether I'm doing a solo gig in a small bar or busking for change at art shows and other events, I just enjoy playing now and it's actually the most fun Ive ever had with a six string. I've got nothing to prove anymore as a guitarist, hell I rarely if ever even record myself anymore I'm just in it for the enjoyment now. Hell the girls don't even matter anymore since my wife has all kinds of rules that prohibit groupies as well as dating in general.

Entertain myself.

+1

Fame?

no thanks.

Money?

thats what jobs are for. Not to say that being a professional musician isnt a legitimate vocation, to the contrary, everyone was born to do a certain job.

Entertain others?

Im not sure I understand this one. I have no need to show off. I have played for others, never found it as remotely satisfying as writing a song or just jamming with friends. I love music, I love to listen to it, sing it, play it. If others like it, cool. If not, sorry.

A guess its a hobby.

+1

Fame?

no thanks.

Money?

thats what jobs are for. Not to say that being a professional musician isnt a legitimate vocation, to the contrary, everyone was born to do a certain job.

Entertain others?

Im not sure I understand this one. I have no need to show off. I have played for others, never found it as remotely satisfying as writing a song or just jamming with friends. I love music, I love to listen to it, sing it, play it. If others like it, cool. If not, sorry.

A guess its a hobby.

Entertaining is not about showing off, it's about putting on a show. There's nothing better than seeing happy people after a good performance. It's very gratifying.

Entertaining is not about showing off, it's about putting on a show. There's nothing better than seeing happy people after a good performance. It's very gratifying.

Yes I agree with you on that..

Ok so alot of people show off... But for me to entertain is to give back.

If i can ever make someone as happy as music has made me over the years then ive done well as far as im concerned. Music means so much to me and meant so much to me growing up.. So I do my bit to give back :)

My goals have changed so much over the years:

13-17 - become the next musician to totally change the face of music and be remembered

18-20 - play music and go on tour to make money and see what there is of the country/world

20-25 - play enough gigs to pay my phone bill, car payments/insurance, electric

25-28 - play enough gigs and sell enough equipment that I'm no longer using to pay the bills

28-? - get a 9-5 40+ a week day job with benefits and vacation so I can play occasionally on the weekends.

haha I have to laugh to keep the tears from coming out

Yes I agree with you on that..

Ok so alot of people show off... But for me to entertain is to give back.

If i can ever make someone as happy as music has made me over the years then ive done well as far as im concerned. Music means so much to me and meant so much to me growing up.. So I do my bit to give back :)

I've always said (and it's a little corny), "Music is a gift given through the musician, not to the musician."

Archived