Gibson Brands Forums

1950's Gibson Acoustic

patt01

Hi all,

Have this Gibson Acoustic that my mom bought for my dad brand new back in the 1950's. It has never left the family

for all these years and has seen it's share of country and bluegrass festivals (Dads originally from W. VA.).

He is in his late 80's now and has passed it on to me. Was hopping to get some info from the good folks in this forum about it. Thanks, Patt01

post-45852-055912300 1343428494_thumb.jpg

post-45852-038315000 1343428521_thumb.jpg

post-45852-008713400 1343428541_thumb.jpg

Lots of knowledgeable model ID'ers here. I'm stumped. Square shoulder J45 maybe. That saddle setup is unique too. I dunno and can't wait for everybody to check in. I think you have a gem in any case. What a beautiful spruce grain pattern!

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It has me stumped also, hope a few more people chime in. If it is a knockoff,

They sure did a good job. Plays and sounds just like a J-45. Dad was in WWII in the Pacific theater so there may be something to j45nick's theory. The guitar, (as the story gose), was purchased new in a small town in northern VA.

where my parents settled after the war. It set the stage for 70+ years (and counting)of marrage (in thier 90's now)

I'll post some speck's below to possibly help clarify some things about it.

The numbers on it are ==U681_33== (in ink) Body width (widest point 15 1/2)

thickness 4 5/8, height of body 19 3/4, overall 40 1/2. X bracing behind sound

hole (bottom side), Tall scalloped ladder bracing elsewhere, 20 frets

baseball bat style neck.

Thanks, j45nick

In my opinion it is a good guitar and hoping to have it around for another 55 years although it would be nice to be able to place a monetary value (if any) on it for insurace purposes and bragging rights. I wonder how many "copies"

are still around from the 50's that look this good. Is there a place in the forums or do you know anywhere I might be able to get a ball Park appraisal?

Thanks, j45nick

In my opinion it is a good guitar and hoping to have it around for another 55 years although it would be nice to be able to place a monetary value (if any) on it for insurace purposes and bragging rights. I wonder how many "copies"

are still around from the 50's that look this good. Is there a place in the forums or do you know anywhere I might be able to get a ball Park appraisal?

That's a tough call. Copies from this period don't have any established value, to the best of my knowledge. If you were to try to sell it, you would probably be very lucky to get a couple of hundred bucks for it, and more likely, much less. There may well be esoteric websites that can help you track down the manufacturer, but they were generally pretty good at covering their tracks, since they were trying to copy other manufacturers' products.

Look at some of the threads here on vintage Gibsons from all periods, dating back to the 1920's. Generally, high-quality guitars get the best care over time, and it's reflected in their value. Cheaper copies rarely achieve "collectible" status, and only have any value if they have a uniquely good tone or playability. That's something none of us here can evalute for you.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...