Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-00 sent broken

Motherofpearl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy and sell gits locally on craigslist using my bs meter in any deal... however, I would look under a rock for a used guitar before I would buy/sell one on ebay. just sayin, hope you get it squared

I buy and sell gits locally on craigslist using my bs meter in any deal... however, I would look under a rock for a used guitar before I would buy/sell one on ebay. just sayin, hope you get it squared

I've had the exact opposite Ebay experience. Nothing but gems, but I know what questions to ask and look for top feedback sellers. Best of all are the deals I get by talking to traders after the listing ends. You can tell after a while who the d'heads are and who are just inexperienced aficionados.

I did once squeeze a minty '78 Guild D25 too tightly in the case once and stood to make a good clean $300 on the sale. I got back pics of a pin, bottom to side crack that wrapped around almost a foot. The buyer practically cried on the phone. I gave him the choice to fix and keep it or return. He kept it and bye-bye went the profit. A lesson learned. Once was enough.

I'd like to have seen the original listing on your L00 to check his description. Did you save it on your watch list?

I have had pretty good luck getting things off ebay. But like craigslist or whatever you have to specify all the what-ifs: issues not mentioned in the advert like missing braces or cracks, inadequate packaging and damage in transit, guitar is as described but I hate it and want to return it (who pays shipping) etc. Game out all scenarios and if the seller hasn't specified, write to them and clarify before buying.

Sorry to see a nice instrument get banged up like that. Hope it turns out ok.

I did not save it. I have had nothing but gems off eBay also. I mostly contact people and try and deal over the phone. This one I did not but they did have over 300 good transactions. Maybe I'll get my money back and get to keep the guitar?? Lol

For me I think it would come down to how hard will it be to find another one. If they are tough to track down and you are liking the guitar I would hang on to it and if you cant wrench a few bucks out of the seller's pocket for the repair, just suck it up and pony up for the repair.

Regarding the nasty odor - is it the guitar or the case? Only ask because form my experience 9 out of 10 times the offedning stench is seeping out of the case.

Regarding the nasty odor - is it the guitar or the case? Only ask because form my experience 9 out of 10 times the offedning stench is seeping out of the case.

Agree on that one, having spilled a beer inside a case many, many years ago. Dumb idea to set your open beer inside a case. Now, I remove the guitar, and close the case immediately.

I've also heard of someone leaving a case open, coming back into the room and discovering that the cat had used it as a litter box.

I got a new Epiphone case a couple of years ago that reeked of solvents, presumably from the glue used to secure the lining to the case. Had to leave that one open for a couple of weeks until it all evaporated. Fortunately, I don't have animals that can pee in one.

Stuff like this is why I have never used, and never will use eBay to buy musical instruments.

I have been very lucky so far, and have a bought several very good guitars on ebay in the last few years from both dealers and individuals, including a Nashville Historic ES-335, an L-OO Legend, and several others. You are pretty much at the mercy of sellers and shippers, so you have to be extremely careful to make sure the guitar is as represented, and the seller knows how to pack and ship it.

Even a guitar that has been properly packed can be damaged in shipping if the shipping company people are either careless or consciously malicious, as they sometimes are. In this cse, it is clear that the seller had no idea how to pack and ship the guitar, which is pretty disappointing. The shipping company should have refused to accept it packaged this way.

I did get one fairly valuable vintage guitar from a dealer in the Midwest who shall remain un-named. The guitar was put in a gig bag and then into a proper cardboard shipping box, but the box was only filled with loose peanuts, with no attempt to hold the guitar in the middle of the box. It arrived looking like the box had been run over by a truck, but miraculously, the guitar was intact.

Hey MoP...you should have on Ebay somewhere, either in your purchase history, or item bought section, or in the email telling you you bought or won the item, a link to retrieve the listing of the item. Look again to be sure of the seller's description. I believe Ebay will protect your refund rights given the poor shipping prep.

Stuff like this is why I have never used, and never will use eBay to buy musical instruments.

Y'know JohnnyReb, if you don't live anywhere near the full service guitar shops, it's a very handy 'shop & try' outlet. But if you don't anticipate pitfalls by clearly laying out your potential concerns about a given instrument where Ebay can go back over your seller/buyer emails in case there's monkey business, you can get shafted.

I'm quite sure I'll get my money back I can't see how I wouldn't. Yes I like this guitar a lot and would keep it repairs aside. But the smell I can't figure out. I have the guitar out of the case now since I got it to let it air out see how it goes.

Other than the damage and the pickguard which I think was changed poorly or a greven put on it. The guitar is mint.

Ill look again for the eBay info

Where do you think I went wrong? At the "it has all six strings on it"? Do I feel dumb. Here's thr description

6b74e2fd.jpg

I would say that a busted butt doesn't fall under the category of "really good condition". I have to admit that's not much of a description, however.

Did it come with all six strings?

Really good condition. That's the phrase that'll help you. But there's still a responsibility to get it to you safely, handling notwithstanding. This seller isn't really offering any detailed info. Thankfully, those three words imply something tangible...really good condition. Best of luck. You'll need patience because it moves like a barge. If the money's being held by P'pal, which you can check out on your account page, the seller will never be able to access it without your statement of satisfaction.

My gut feeling, for what it's worth, is that he shipped it damaged, knowingly, and deliberately gave you minimal info hoping you'd just take what you get. Don't rush it and deal exclusively through the resolution process.

"Has all of its strings" should have been a tipoff that the seller knows nothing about guitars and needs instruction on packing and getting insurance.

Insurance doesn't help unless the PO or Fedex truck goes off a cliff. Only if a shipper actually packs it will you get damage insurance, and boy does that cost a bundle!

Insurance doesn't help unless the PO or Fedex truck goes off a cliff. Only if a shipper actually packs it will you get damage insurance, and boy does that cost a bundle!

Is that right? I remember a guitar I got not too long ago from fedex and it had a little gizmo on it that registered if the package was subjected to a shock.

It's kind of too late for this particular guitar but the incident is instructive about the kind of agreement you should seek with the seller so if something happens you have already agreed on the remedy/responsibilities.

Archived