Gibson Brands Forums

MAJOR Dot Studio Mod Project - Lots of new pix

TheStones143

Hi...Started a guitar mod...I bought a Dot Studio used with the intent of reworking to look like a Dot Royale...Tuxedo style.

Here is my gallery if you are interested...

Gallery

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

Just started...more to follow.

My Goal...to turn this:

DotstudioWB.jpg

Into a guitar inspired by this:

Black-Royale-Dot-600b.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Job so far!!!! Please keep us posted. This is why I love this forum!!!!!msp_thumbup.gif

+1. Are you planning to add an additional vol/tone control, or leave as is?

Keep the pix coming, love this stuff, and nice job so far. [thumbup]

First newbie Error...glad I caught it now.

I cannot paint the neck and body...I imagine the neck joint could cause cracking on the top coat...So I need to sand down the neck and tape it...and finish it later...

As for tone controls etc...too advanced for me...this is my rookie MOD!

Looks good so far. Nice Douglas by the way. I have a white WNO-640.

Thanks JC...

The Douglas has been Modified pretty good. All new hardware. With GFS LIverpool Standards in it. I am considering taking those pickups and putting them in the Dot...and getting GFS P90 surfs for the Douglas.

Twang cut the pick guard...

I had a local guy do most of the work on that one...sorting of wanting to do it myself this time...

Have you modified your Douglas? Simply a great guitar for $259....with $120 added in...it is a wicked guitar!

This looks fantastic,,,,please keep the pics coming.I've been considering stripping my black Rivoli and re-lacquering it with clear stuff to obtain a natural finish,but I've been told that the wood underneath may not be top quality.So now I'm looking for a swap.

Jeff,,,,,,This is looking great [thumbup] ,,,,,are you using a spray gun and compressor,or aerosol tins?

Basic cans...did some research, and there were enough examples of success to make me want to go for it. I literally bought Home Depot grade paint. This is my first mod...so its as much about learning as anything else.

Man, that looks like fun Jeff, Makes me want to go out and buy a cheap beat up pawn shop guitar and strip her down, and re-do it, just for fun!! Thanks for posting all the pic, please keep it up, and it's looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Man, that looks like fun Jeff, Makes me want to go out and buy a cheap beat up pawn shop guitar and strip her down, and re-do it, just for fun!! Thanks for posting all the pic, please keep it up, and it's looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hey thanks! It is fun. The electronics make me nervous, but I am going to give it a go!

Hey thanks! It is fun. The electronics make me nervous, but I am going to give it a go!

Not as scary as you'd think. I built a Tele from components and parts about 18 months ago because I wanted to understand how all this stuff works. It was fun.

Your Dot's looking great. Couple questions. How did you strip the original finish and how are you handling the binding (covering, painting & stripping, etc.). From all the pic's I've seen it looks like even the Studio's have a bit of binding.

Keep the pix coming.

Not as scary as you'd think. I built a Tele from components and parts about 18 months ago because I wanted to understand how all this stuff works. It was fun.

Your Dot's looking great. Couple questions. How did you strip the original finish and how are you handling the binding (covering, painting & stripping, etc.). From all the pic's I've seen it looks like even the Studio's have a bit of binding.

Keep the pix coming.

I am thinking about using Automotive pinstripe for the faux binding...my dot has painted on black binding. I considered having no binding...but it was not going to work with my plan of having a tuxedo style 335...

Rookie error 2. I really want to have a white binding...read some articles that suggest the tape is only worth using to mask a white under it...them remove the tape prior to clear coat.

So...I will be adding back some primer white. Then taping it. Then 2 more coats of black. Again, no big deal, but takes time...no rush.

Rookie error 2. I really want to have a white binding...read some articles that suggest the tape is only worth using to mask a white under it...them remove the tape prior to clear coat.

So...I will be adding back some primer white. Then taping it. Then 2 more coats of black. Again, no big deal, but takes time...no rush.

Are you going to to do a satin finish on the back of the neck?

@ Wardog...not sure...waiting to see how good/ bad the paint looks.

Here is the latest. Added white on the sides...then I plan to tape it with auto pinstripe...the reapply black for 2 coats. Then remove the paint to get the white pinstripe...

If that fails, I will use white pinstripe and just use the tape to get the effect. I hope the paint approach works.

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

Removed the pinstriping....looks really good.

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

Giving it til the weekend to dry. Then final sand...

I also bought a crown decal for the headstock to dress it up. The Dot Studio has a pretty boring head stock.

Also bought my pick guard and my tophat knobs.

Still need to get the bridge.

Archived