Gibson Brands Forums

MAJOR Dot Studio Mod Project - Lots of new pix

TheStones143

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice job on the pinstripe!!!!

Thanks Wardog...was shocked it turned out so well. I have one touch up of white to do near the neck where the pinstripe pulled off the guitar.

Basically done the paint stage. Clear coat next.

Update on what I have purchased:

1) 2 Liverpool Classic GFS humbuckers ($42 for a set on ebay - score!)

2) 1 White Epiphone pick guard ($20 on ebay)

3) 1 crown decal for the headstock to dress up the plan Dot Studio ($5)

4) 2 Tophat black and chrome knobs ($4)

5) 2 Chrome strap buttons ($4)

6) Paint - $12

7) Sandpaper - $10

Still to go:

1) Pots + Switches + Wire...researching the vintage wiring set ups...seems interesting (Approx - $30)

2) Jack ($4)

Total cost: $131

PLUS cost of guitar: $180

TOTAL: $311

Cost of a Dot Royale @ zzounds: $450. It is not exactly the same guitar...but I am having more fun this way for sure!

zzounds dot royale

Good on you, Jeff!! Love your work and effort.

Always enjoy following Mod threads, as I'm kind of scare to start

any kind of projects at the moment, also without any proper

tools!

Keep us updated, look forward to see the finishing product! [thumbup]

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

Project Update. I have been adding clear coat over the last week. Still have some coats to go. NOTE I have yet to finish the sanding on the clear coat, hence the rough finish...still really really really work in progress.

As far as hardware goes, I have received my pickguard, tophat knobs and the crown decal.

I have spoken with the folks @ mojotone.com, and they can build a vintage style harness for $55. I am weighing this vs. the learning I will gain building that myself. I have some time as I still need to finish the clear coats, cure time and final sanding and 3M finishing material app.

Definitely feel good about this project. If this works out, I plan to refinish my 1981 Hondo H117 junior acoustic. It is what I first learned on and I want my kids to learn on it too...needs a new bridge, clear coat and nut.

I have spoken with the folks @ mojotone.com, and they can build a vintage style harness for $55. I am weighing this vs. the learning I will gain building that myself.

YouTube is your friend. There are a lot of videos like this one:

It's looking good so far, keep the updates coming.

Rookie mistake #3....

I did not sand the head stock...partly because I did not want to mess with the Epiphone logo...partly because I forgot.

Anyway, I think it is likely to peel...so I think I need to sand it down and start again on the headstock.

Again, not a massive issue, just time consuming.

After some work I have finished the decal on the headstock...I am sure I will hear that the crown is not accurate for a Dot...don't really care. Not trying to make a fake...just trying to make my guitar look unique and I like the crown. The Dot Studio headstock is so plain that it needed something.

Before:

DSC_0080.JPG

After:

DSC_0162.JPG

For comparison sake, here is the Dot headstock of the Black Royale...

BlackRoyaleDotHeadstock.jpg

And here is the way the headstock looked on my Dot Studio...when I bought it.

DotSudioHeadstock.jpg

Here is the Crown's real home...an ES-335

DV016_Jpg_Large_517751.011_black_headstock.jpg

Watching this very closely. I LOVE mod projects. I mean to mod out a Dot or Dot Studio myself eventually after I upgrade my current Dot.

First post, btw. Hello people.

Welcome aboard. This is my first Mod...well I had the guitar in my signature mod'ed for me...this is my first effort all alone.

BTW - considering setting up a blog on this...I am amazed by the amount of interest.

This looks like a much heavier mod than the git in your sig.

Very ambitious.

Part that scares me the most is painting and clear coating.

LOL...for me the entire thing scared me. But I nabbed a Dot Studio for about $150...and I sort of figure if I mess it up, not a huge loss. But I did a lot of research online prior to starting...and it has helped. The clear coat is pretty easy once you get started...and if you take your time.

That is the key to all of this...take your time. And if you make mistakes - I have made some - take a break and fix them.

The only thing I am not loving is my head stock. The body looks spectacular...and once I sand it and apply 3M finish...it should look really good.

LOL...for me the entire thing scared me. But I nabbed a Dot Studio for about $150...and I sort of figure if I mess it up, not a huge loss. But I did a lot of research online prior to starting...and it has helped. The clear coat is pretty easy once you get started...and if you take your time.

That is the key to all of this...take your time. And if you make mistakes - I have made some - take a break and fix them.

It is looking good so far Jeff. I have been shooting clear coats on my new guitars, so I thought I might add a few words of advice. You can choose to ignore them if you want. [biggrin]

After about 4 coats of clear, you should do a level sand, using 320 grit sandpaper and a small flat foam block, and then every 2 -3 coats after that. Remember you don't have to have it absolutely flat until the last 2 coats. Probably 8 - 10 coats are required.

Even after the last coat, before wet sanding, you will have some "Rough" surface.

After letting the last clear coat cure for about 2 weeks, start wet sanding with 600 grit, progressing through 1000 grit, to 1500 or even 2000. Wipe it off with a clean dry rag after each sanding.

When you hold the guitar up to the light, you will see the telltale "shiny spots" in the finish. These are the low spots that the sandpaper has not touched, and will diminish with each successive grit of sandpaper, until they are no longer visible. At that point you are ready for buffing.

Only one other thing. To keep the inside of the guitar clean, put a balloon into the F-hole, and blow it up inside the guitar. Once complete, simply pop it and remove it.

You're right. Patience is key.

It is looking good so far Jeff. I have been shooting clear coats on my new guitars, so I thought I might add a few words of advice. You can choose to ignore them if you want. [biggrin]

After about 4 coats of clear, you should do a level sand, using 320 grit sandpaper and a small flat foam block, and then every 2 -3 coats after that. Remember you don't have to have it absolutely flat until the last 2 coats. Probably 8 - 10 coats are required.

Even after the last coat, before wet sanding, you will have some "Rough" surface.

After letting the last clear coat cure for about 2 weeks, start wet sanding with 600 grit, progressing through 1000 grit, to 1500 or even 2000. Wipe it off with a clean dry rag after each sanding.

When you hold the guitar up to the light, you will see the telltale "shiny spots" in the finish. These are the low spots that the sandpaper has not touched, and will diminish with each successive grit of sandpaper, until they are no longer visible. At that point you are ready for buffing.

Only one other thing. To keep the inside of the guitar clean, put a balloon into the F-hole, and blow it up inside the guitar. Once complete, simply pop it and remove it.

You're right. Patience is key.

Hey thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it. I am about 4 coats in now...I will follow your suggestion. I am surprised that you suggest 320...does that not take off much of the 4 coats? What benefit does that sanding bring?

Love the balloon idea...I am using paper...but the balloon is brilliant.

I have been struggling with some moisture clouding on the head stock. I have been sanding that back. Looks far better now.

Thanks for the advice!

Archived