Gibson Brands Forums

MAJOR Dot Studio Mod Project - Lots of new pix

TheStones143

Hey thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it. I am about 4 coats in now...I will follow your suggestion. I am surprised that you suggest 320...does that not take off much of the 4 coats? What benefit does that sanding bring?

Love the balloon idea...I am using paper...but the balloon is brilliant.

I have been struggling with some moisture clouding on the head stock. I have been sanding that back. Looks far better now.

Thanks for the advice!

REMEMBER this is DRY sanding we're talking about. NO wet sanding until you're in the final stage.

320 will leave enough of a rough surface that the next coat will still bind to the first ones.

Any finer grade of sandpaper will leave it too smooth. Remember at this point you are only knocking down the highest points. The successive coats of clear will fill the low spots.

You don't have to be too aggressive with this sanding, it is simply a start. As your coats build thickness, you will find it easier to level sand without going right through to the paint.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REMEMBER this is DRY sanding we're talking about. NO wet sanding until you're in the final stage.

320 will leave enough of a rough surface that the next coat will still bind to the first ones.

Any finer grade of sandpaper will leave it too smooth. Remember at this point you are only knocking down the highest points. The successive coats of clear will fill the low spots.

You don't have to be too aggressive with this sanding, it is simply a start. As your coats build thickness, you will find it easier to level sand without going right through to the paint.

Got it. Going to try this tonight. Will take a few pix.

Very timely and helpful advice. I hit the guitar with 350 sand paper. I was able to smooth out a few minor bumps.

Shot the top with a new coat. Ran out of clear, so I need a 2nd can.

Thanks again!

Getting that really glossy mirror like finish needs different techniques than most regular wood finishing. It is more like automotive finshing.

On my recently finished bodies I shot 12 coats of clear, sanding back after 4, 7, 10 and 11.

All of this sanding was dry, using 320 grit, and a small 3 x 3 hard foam pad. You can buy these at any automotive paint supply store. You only go to wet sanding after your final coat of clear.

I used 600 grit to start the wet sanding. Then I used 1000, and 1500. I finished using Stewmac medium polishing compound, and stewmac swirl remover. Both of these were applied with a foam applicator pad using my drill.

I am going to take some pics soon and they will show the glass like finish. You can see your face in it.

Gordy1 you are the man!

I did a couple of sand downs...and WOW the guitar is so much smoother.

At the 8th coat....planning the 9th to be the last.

Then let it sit for 3 weeks.

I ended up buying a pre-wired mojotone harness...it was cheaper then buying all the parts myself!

They are great. I am using vintage braided wire, a vintage oil filled capacitor too.

That ships Monday. And my GFS pick ups arrived the other day.

Waiting on the Epiphone E decal. And I plan to buy my Grover tuners locally.

QUESTION: Should I go with Grovers Rotomatics or a Klaston style?

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

Laid out my hardware...note finish is not sanded yet. So it still has some orange peel going on...but it is starting to look HOT!!

Mate, it's starting to come together! I'm so excited for you!! More pics, plz!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Mate, it's starting to come together! I'm so excited for you!! More pics, plz!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Hey thanks! Yeah, it is really exciting to get this close to completion...

Next project for me is an acoustic...then I am going to leap right into restoring a Vespa...

Rookie Error again,,,,

1) somehow laid the guitar down so that the headstock rested on the stand vs. the fretboard...major dent in the finish....need to redo it.

2) 3 dents in the back...need to redo that paint too.

anyone have a way to rest the guitar so the paint does not get damanged as it dries?

I have some hooks that I hang them on. You can use anything almost anywhere though.

My hooks are under one of the upper cabinets in my shop.

You could use an old coat hanger through one of the tuner holes.

Anywhere that is out of traffic, and not in direct sunlight. It's ok to have light, but not direct sun.

I have some hooks that I hang them on. You can use anything almost anywhere though.

My hooks are under one of the upper cabinets in my shop.

You could use an old coat hanger through one of the tuner holes.

Anywhere that is out of traffic, and not in direct sunlight. It's ok to have light, but not direct sun.

Worried my paint will never cure...maybe I am just being overly concerned.

Patience young Jedi!!! Patience!!! The force is strong in you. The end result you want it will be. Patience you must have!!!

Hey - still finishing the clear coat.

I received my harness from Mojo...but they sent the wrong one.. they built it for a Dot...not a Studio. Expect to get the replacement late next week. BTW - they have been great to deal with even with this issue.

Here is a video of my messing around on my Douglas WNO 630...

How long your finish takes to cure is kinda dependant on which finish you used, and what the curing conditions are like. Lots of humidity will slow things down.

Some types of finish never really get super hard, again depends on what you used.

That's one of the things I looked for in the finish I use.

How long your finish takes to cure is kinda dependant on which finish you used, and what the curing conditions are like. Lots of humidity will slow things down.

Some types of finish never really get super hard, again depends on what you used.

That's one of the things I looked for in the finish I use.

Well, part of it is patience. This project has taught me that 1) I have more patience than I realized and 2) I really am a bit of a perfectionist...

As for my finish, I went with a spray oil based paint. Read that many have used it but it take time to cure. Seems to be getting hard in the areas I stopped spraying 2 weeks ago. Still have a few areas were a little refinish is needed. Tomorrow will be my last paint day, unless something happens. Then I plan to wait 4 weeks before I polish. Should be playing Oct 1.

Can't wait to see more pics!

DO NOT be stingy with the pics!

[-o<

HAHA...not much to show...was going to take a few picks of my new harness...but they shipped the wrong one.

Right now it is the fine details...all pics would look the same...

But thanks for the ongoing interest.

BTW - my next project is going to be to restore a vintage Vespa scooter...

Archived