Gibson Brands Forums

MAJOR Dot Studio Mod Project - Lots of new pix

TheStones143

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSC_0230.JPG

Check out the amazing harness from Mojotone vs the basic harness that came with it. Note the oil capacitor and the vintage braided wires!

Totally agree, it was the same when I ordered my BCS harness for the Sheraton; night and day.

Good job so far by the way

Paint done. Now its time to wait. Here are a few pix...

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

No sanding done...that comes in 4 weeks.

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0226.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

Man, what took you so long!! I've been waiting for more pics everyday!!

She's looking very gorgeous, mate! Sexy [thumbup]

+1 fret board needs to be darker

My personal opinion is that you should stick to the silver. The guitar has a very strong black and white/silver theme going on now, and I fear that the yellowy tuners will throw that off.

+1 on that. It's a visual thing I guess, but I'd go woth the silver as well. Great job so far either way!

• 3 weeks later...

DSC_0385.JPG

OK. quick update. Sorry for the delay...had to let the paint dry.

SO I have started sanding: 600/ 800/ 1000.

I plan to us 3 M Finishing Finesse It! I think I need to use a swirl remover first.

Anyone out there - can you advise how best to proceed once I finish the 1000 sanding?

DSC_0385.JPG

OK. quick update. Sorry for the delay...had to let the paint dry.

SO I have started sanding: 600/ 800/ 1000.

I plan to us 3 M Finishing Finesse It! I think I need to use a swirl remover first.

Anyone out there - can you advise how best to proceed once I finish the 1000 sanding?

First of all wash all of the grit off the guitar with a damp soft cloth, and then let it dry.

After wet sanding to 1000 grit I usually go to 1500 grit, but you can go directly to the first stage of buffing.

Buff with a medium buffing compound. I use my drill with stewmac buffing compound and the foam pads they sell also. The terry cloth polishing buffers are too coarse for this work. They will scratch your finish.

After buffing to a shine, use the swirl remover.

The medium buffing compound and the swirl remover are simply finer and finer grits of abrasives. Basically you scratch the finish smooth.

All of this can be done by hand also using micro-fibre cloth, or other very fine cloth. It is considerably more work by hand though.

Be careful. Polishing heats the surface, and even the seam of an old T-shirt can put a scratch in your finish.

First of all wash all of the grit off the guitar with a damp soft cloth, and then let it dry.

After wet sanding to 1000 grit I usually go to 1500 grit, but you can go directly to the first stage of buffing.

Buff with a medium buffing compound. I use my drill with stewmac buffing compound and the foam pads they sell also. The terry cloth polishing buffers are too coarse for this work. They will scratch your finish.

After buffing to a shine, use the swirl remover.

The medium buffing compound and the swirl remover are simply finer and finer grits of abrasives. Basically you scratch the finish smooth.

All of this can be done by hand also using micro-fibre cloth, or other very fine cloth. It is considerably more work by hand though.

Be careful. Polishing heats the surface, and even the seam of an old T-shirt can put a scratch in your finish.

I am using 3M Rubbing compound followed by Auto Swirl remover. Then the 3M Finish.

I am using microfiber covered pads...I do not have a drill system.

Thanks for the advice!

I believe this is a 2 beer assignment vs a quick 1 beer assignment!

Archived