Gibson Brands Forums

MAJOR Dot Studio Mod Project - Lots of new pix

TheStones143

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea it's a Studio that I picked off of Craigslist in august, It is gloss blk with actual binding on it! the finish was flawless. I have not seen another studio like it, the previous owner changed out the tuners,bridge & tail piece for chrome and gave me the orig blk hardware with it and also a Vintage heavy leather soft case all for $180.00 ! even the nut had been changed out with a graphite and it was setup perfectly! I put a 57 classic in the bridge and a T Top paf from 1979 in the neck along with a PIO .022 cap and the guitar sounds fantastic. I wrote up anoter Thread about my other Studio Dot rehab, ck it out.......

• 8 months later...

After some work I have finished the decal on the headstock...I am sure I will hear that the crown is not accurate for a Dot...don't really care. Not trying to make a fake...just trying to make my guitar look unique and I like the crown. The Dot Studio headstock is so plain that it needed something.

Before:

DSC_0080.JPG

After:

DSC_0162.JPG

For comparison sake, here is the Dot headstock of the Black Royale...

BlackRoyaleDotHeadstock.jpg

And here is the way the headstock looked on my Dot Studio...when I bought it.

DotSudioHeadstock.jpg

Here is the Crown's real home...an ES-335

DV016_Jpg_Large_517751.011_black_headstock.jpg

The Vintage Crown looks awesome man! [thumbup] By the way, where'd ya get it?

I agree the Dot Studio headstock is kinda plain, I'm addin' a VC to my Dot 'stock. In my opinion, it make it closer resemble a Gibson 335.

Head.jpg

Interesting...EJ200 acoustic Epiphone with a Crown on the headstock...guess my headstock is not completely inaccurate!!

FYI: I've been doin' research on Gibson headstock inlays & Gibson has 2 different Crown style(Closed & Vintage). That one on that EJ is a Closed Crown. You've got what looks like a Vintage Crown on there. The Gibson 335's I've looked at have the Vintage Crowns also, so good call!

Some Gibson Acoustics(like the J-200 Studio) have the Vintage Crown too.

Just wanted to share the info.

Before:

118291.jpg

After:

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

Nearly done!!

Goal/Inspiration:

Black-Royale-Dot-600b.jpg

Finished polishing with Rubbing Compound, Swirl removal and 3M Finishing.

Looks awesome, Jeff!

Will be keeping an eye on this thread 'cause I'm wantin' to add a pickguard(like you got) to my Dot Studio also & want to know how yours turns out(& how ya did it).

Archived