Gibson Brands Forums

Maxon OD808

Dub-T-123

Who here is rocking an OD808? Man, this circuit is awesome!

I just built one and I'm really surprised by it. I've tried Tube Screamers before and I've never really been a fan but this version is really cool. It has a nice open, clear, dynamic sound unlike other versions that I've played that have felt muffled and overly compressed to me.

Here's the gutshot (no LED wired up right meow)

photo-755.jpg

I'll post a youtube demo and pic of the front later.

Who here is rocking an OD808? Man, this circuit is awesome!

...It has a nice open, clear, dynamic sound ...

Cool man. Sounds like a nice improvement over the stock sound for sure. Those quality caps help a lot. Adding bass and treble makes a big difference too.

I guess the dual op-amps give it a bit more gain? You should try some other chips in there too.

I wanted a nice midrangey sound out of this one to differentiate it from my other overdrive a bit. I did change the value of the tone pot slightly which gave it a little extra treble on tap.

Does the regular TS just use a single JRC4558? I'll try some different op amps for sure. What do you recommend? TL072?

Here's the outside

photo-1979.jpg

Does the regular TS just use a single JRC4558? I'll try some different op amps for sure. What do you recommend? TL072?

Sweet! I like that layout.

Yeah, they have one and it's a JRC4558 - now. A lot of the older reissues have a crappy TA7555D. The TL072 or TL082 are great. I'll PM you my notes on a few that I've tried. But if you want it edgy stick with either the JRC or the RC4558.

Thanks! I went kinda aesthetic over function with the drilling. No room for a battery but I just had to drill it that way :rolleyes:

I just looked at the original TS808 and that uses two transistors where this uses the second JRC4558. The JRC4558 is basically just two JFETs in a chip so the circuits are pretty much still the same just different components.

Thanks for the tips :)

I'm not rocking one but I plan on it!

I like all the gain to come from the amp, but when I need a little extra Nigel Tufnel, I like a good Tube Screamer.

The OD-808 happens to be my favorite type of Screamer.

Cool pedal build. Have fun with it!

I've had one for years and really like it. Great sound and fairly transparent. I like how it tightens up the bottom and adds a nice grind to my amp which has a 12" Jensen Alnico speaker. The speaker can get a little farty by itself when really driven.

Archived