Gibson Brands Forums

Whats on your possibilities list..?

I love my J-45 and don't think I'm in the market. How EVAH, if someone left an SJ200 on my doorstep, I would probably bring it inside. Also, all the JB talk around here recently (and those dark burst photos!) has given me that old-timey, GASy feeling. That's a special feeling.

One would think Id be content with my J45 and National VS. However, the Delphi as has done a number on my ears, so at some point would like to find a flattop with more snap than the J45 (some of you can now safely say 'told you so'). If a change comes, it may well be for a smaller body, either an L-series Gibson or a Martin 00, tho Im not sure I can hit the price point of either. Ive been playing a lot of lap steel on the VS, so that has sniffing around at Dobros and Weissenborns.

I truly believe I could be satisfied with one acoustic and one electric (maybe one semi-acoustic) if I found the right one. I don't consider myself that good of a player but the right guitar does make me feel like I play a little better. I played for years just having one or two guitars . Raising a family, paying for their college and weddings put my search for the perfect guitar on hold. A recent purchase has in my mind completed my search for the perfect electric (for me) and it wasn't by far the most expensive one. I now feel I should get rid of all my other electrics. Next I'll work on the acoustic's. I have a few and like certain thinks about each one, but would have a hard time picking just one. Like my three Martins. I would need to take the body of the D41S for it's sound, the neck of the D28EP for it's feel and modify it to be a short scale like my 000-28EC and make it look like my J200 . Maybe that would work.:)

I been going at it all wrong.

Four acoustic flat tops ..3 of them are long scale big guitars..but I dont like stiff tight strings...

The perfect one of the four is the short scale one.

And what did I do with my first guitar stash in 4 years..buy a long scale again..(Slope Shouldered)

Later.. when I asked wife she says.. I was surprised that you didnt buy another Lowden but I didnt want to tell you what to do.

I have been shopping in the wrong category...FOOL!

Really not that many appealing responsive short scale guitars..with a medium body.

Where as if I lived pre 1930's the majority would have been so.

Even the one I have had to be custom made to short.

So that is going to be wish list..

Short Scale..Medium Body..Responsive...

I've played a few L-00 Legend series guitars. One in particular at Music Villa was quite spectacular. At the time I was a bit daunted by the price tag and stupidly didn't buy it. I am looking around for a used one. Those great big honking necks, though they take some getting used to, make for beautiful tone.

I have a Martin 12 fret 00-18vs which I like very much. I have been thinking about getting a 00-18v, a 14 fret version.

I've also been shopping for a J-200 for a few years. I liked a TV model that Rar bought.

I've played a few L-00 Legend series guitars. One in particular at Music Villa was quite spectacular. At the time I was a bit daunted by the price tag and stupidly didn't buy it. I am looking around for a used one. Those great big honking necks, though they take some getting used to, make for beautiful tone.

I've got one of these, and it's a sweet little guitar. The neck is just a 30's Gibson V-neck, which may feel big and awkward at first, depending on what you are used to playing. After a while, it feels pretty natural. It's very similar to the neck on the OOO-28 EC, which I didn't like at first, but now that I am playing the Legend as well, the EC neck feels just fine.

What amazes me is how quickly we adapt to different necks. None of my guitars has a neck that is identical to any other one in the herd, and that includes six Gibsons. Don't let the fact that the neck is different deter you.

After a day playing my new SJ with its wide Luthier's Choice neck, even that is starting to feel natural!

I've seen very few L-OO Legends for sale used, as I doubt they make a lot of these, since the new price is so high. I jumped on mine at just under $3K in near-perfect shape, which is less than they are asking for a 30's L-OO in really average condition. I thought the Legend was a no-brainer, and haven't regretted it.

One would think Id be content with my J45 and National VS. However, the Delphi as has done a number on my ears, so at some point would like to find a flattop with more snap than the J45 (some of you can now safely say 'told you so'). If a change comes, it may well be for a smaller body, either an L-series Gibson or a Martin 00, tho Im not sure I can hit the price of either.

Hi Rambler,

Nothing wrong at all with your long term thoughts. I just thought I'd throw out a word of caution your way as I felt similar when spending lengthy periods of time playing my Delphi. But I noticed that during those periods of time when I would lay off of the Delphi for a while, I really appreciated the contrast that my other guitars could bring, which I didn't really feel early on after purchasing my Delphi. It seems to me that if you dig the raw in-your-face element of a steel bodied resonator (which I do), that honeymoon period can be quite a lengthy one. I'll admit that I do like punchy guitars in general, but there is definitely something to be said for variety (you know, the spice of life and all that).

Glad you're continuing to enjoy the Delphi!

I bet it's hard to play "Badge" on a sea kayak......

Nick, I haven't yet figured out how to plug it into a Leslie ;) I'm not sure about doing this as I really like both guitars and if I get rid of them, I don't need my amp and...it doesn't sound like a great idea

@57classic--it isn't a good idea. You'll want an electric. Trust me on that. There's always room for one in the closet.

I'm always thinking of what my next guitar might be. I am thinking it will come from Fuller's and be either a J 35 or an original Jumbo. It will be a year down the road, at least.

I love my Fuller's J50.

Cheers,

Jim

I'm not sure which one it will be (also budget wise), but I have narrowed my list to:

Gibson Hummingbird pro

Gibson SJ-200

Gibson AJ-pro

I think I will buy one of these in used condition. Guitar center always have good used guitars.

I have no plan to buy another Gibson, I’m broke! I have a large and have been involved in revitalizingsmall and struggling churches. Therefore my income is usually just above survivalmode. I have no complaints and am veryhappy and fulfilled! When I retire I will stay one month at each of my kids andConnie and I will have one month to ourselvesJ. I acquired my j45 in a very interesting way.I still had an old and abuse j160 from when I was a working musician (I nevermade to the label recording stage). The j160 needed a lot of work and was notvery playable any more. It is also my least favorite Gibson made. We wereshopping for a nice professional grade flute for my third daughter who is nowmusic ed .major. Then it hit me. Why don’t I see if I can trade in my j160 fora decent guitar and start playing guitar again. I was never a fantastic guitar player;for the most part I was a bass player. There were times I did not even own aguitar. A couple of the guitar salesman at the local guitar shop fell in lovewith my j160 but the management said no way. It needed too much work. Then akind local musician took a look at it. I expressed to him my desire to startplaying again, for person not professional use. He offered me a very reasonableprice and said he would work with in getting a new guitar. I was going forrosewood but in his opinion mahogany would better fit my still of playing.Through an argument with the sales people at Best Buy, the local musician, whoalso just quit a law firm in order to pursuit of a fulltime musical career,contacted Best Buys head quarters. Best Buy apologized and offer him a guitarat their cost. He passed that on to me and I was able to purchase my j45 for$160.00 plus my j160. I have enjoyed it ever since. It has been a real blessingto me. I have used it for personal and family enjoyment. I have also used itfor special music in church and in playing with some of my kids in their recitals.

If I were able to get another guitar it would probable be ase 335 in cherry red like my old one.

chasAK

What a fun thread!

If it were your job to sit and listen to other people play guitar, press record and smile with encouragement then what do you really need hanging on the wall to cover most bases? All customers bring their own instrument(s) but are always encouraged to add layers of different and colourful tones. Here's my combined wish list / acquired list, string gauges attached:

Les Paul 11-52

SG (10-49)

Stratocaster (13-56)

Telecaster (10-49)

Arch-top (flat-wounds)

Musicman Sabre Bass (45-105)

Fender Fretless Jazz Bass (flat-wounds)

Upright Double Bass (waiting for funds)

National Resonator (12-52)

Dobro Resonator (waiting for funds)

Jumbo Acoustic (13-56)

Dreadnought (12-52)

Parlour Guitar (12-52)

Django Reinhardt Style Manouche Gypsy Jazz Guitar (waiting for funds)

Classical Guitar (standard low tension)

Flamenco Guitar (high tension)

Mahogany Ukelele (standard gauge)

Bass Ukelele (big phat rubber bands)

Banjo (standard 4-string)

Have I missed any obvious industry standards?

What a fun thread!

If it were your job to sit and listen to other people play guitar, press record and smile with encouragement then what do you really need hanging on the wall to cover most bases? All customers bring their own instrument(s) but are always encouraged to add layers of different and colourful tones. Here's my combined wish list / acquired list, string gauges attached:

Les Paul 11-52

SG (10-49)

Stratocaster (13-56)

Telecaster (10-49)

Arch-top (flat-wounds)

Musicman Sabre Bass (45-105)

Fender Fretless Jazz Bass (flat-wounds)

Upright Double Bass (waiting for funds)

National Resonator (12-52)

Dobro Resonator (waiting for funds)

Jumbo Acoustic (13-56)

Dreadnought (12-52)

Parlour Guitar (12-52)

Django Reinhardt Style Manouche Gypsy Jazz Guitar (waiting for funds)

Classical Guitar (standard low tension)

Flamenco Guitar (high tension)

Mahogany Ukelele (standard gauge)

Bass Ukelele (big phat rubber bands)

Banjo (standard 4-string)

Have I missed any obvious industry standards

How about an 50's Les Paul junior & a Les Paul 59 historic with .036-.009's Nickle Platted Steel Strings nice and light..and a good 385 Rickenbacker 12 string.

How about an 50's Les Paul junior & a Les Paul 59 historic with .036-.009's Nickle Platted Steel Strings nice and light..and a good 385 Rickenbacker 12 string.

I've already got the Les Paul Black Beauty Fretless Wonder Custom, so rich in tone you can just run it straight into the racks without even worrying about amps, cabs and mics in some tracks. I'm thinking an SG Custom with standard gauge fills the hole for those looking for more bite and growl, and the tele has got all the honk we need.

Any lighter in string gauge than 10 and I'm afraid the guitar gets less and less productive on record. There are always exceptions but because of the nature of this collection I must generalise. I always use nickel plated strings on solid body electrics.

Oh and I didn't forget the 12 string but have never been impressed with the value for money regarding the lifespan of them on a studio wall, if they don't get played a lot they get banana-necked pretty quick from all that tension. A Rickenbacker bass though, that's an idea :-k

Thanks for the suggestions, any more industry standards I've overlooked?

I've already got the Les Paul Black Beauty Fretless Wonder Custom, so rich in tone you can just run it straight into the racks without even worrying about amps, cabs and mics in some tracks. I'm thinking an SG Custom with standard gauge fills the hole for those looking for more bite and growl, and the tele has got all the honk we need.

Any lighter in string gauge than 10 and I'm afraid the guitar gets less and less productive on record. There are always exceptions but because of the nature of this collection I must generalise. I always use nickel plated strings on solid body electrics.

Oh and I didn't forget the 12 string but have never been impressed with the value for money regarding the lifespan of them on a studio wall, if they don't get played a lot they get banana-necked pretty quick from all that tension. A Rickenbacker bass though, that's an idea :-k

Thanks for the suggestions, any more industry standards I've overlooked?

The Single Coil Gibson P90 pickup seems to be missing..and the 1950's Les Paul Junior is the epitome of growl & bite...a very different animal to a Les Paul Custom /Standard.

In my opinion the single cutaway Gibson Les Paul Junior is the greatest electric guitar ever made..(of course there are a handfull of others that are in that greatest catagory & shoulder to shoulder)

Hofner bass has a unique antique acoustic sound but... the Alembic 4 string bass..ooo..oooo...oooo..when people try that.The sound of that bass..man.The sounds are round, full & clean.