Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone played or own Gretsch acoustics ???

JuanCarlosVejar

FOlks,

I saw a picture of Jack Whites former band The White Stripes and he played a really cool Gretsch White Falcon acoustic guitar he also played a Gretsch Rancher at the White House for the Macca concert they did a while back .

falcon :

rancher :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUr3sugBfJA

does anyone have anything to say about the sound or playability of these gretsch acoustics ???

thanks

JC

Hi Juan

Don't like to see any posting by you go with out reply.

The Acoustics look good..though Id rather have one pickguard & a round sound hole.

All i can suggest is never pay more than 40% off retail for one cause every year I see Matt Uminov Guitars in the village(NY City) put all Gretsch on sale for that.

And that the Gretsch my wife got me (120th anniversary Model) with really great TV Jones Pickups & 24.75 scale Length is one great sounding guitar.

Most are made in Japan last I looked ,but a couple of models are US at Fender factory but over priced like crazy...Japanese are good woodworkers & I wouldn't be surprised if US made are no better except for maybe wood quality & flagship model.

I gotta add this guy doing a cover of a Paul McCartney's Mother Natures son at this gala was really a poor idea.

They invited him to hear his stuff not a McCarney cover..anyone of us could a done that.. : )

Cheers

Sorry but athough they have a cool 1950s TV Western mojo thing going on, based on the ones I have played those Gretsch Ranchers were some of the worst guitars I ever picked up. I never could figure out why Gretsch could not really turn out a stellar acoustic.

On the other hand I did get to spend some time with a Gretsch Folk Singer (also known as a Grand Concert or Jimmie Rogers depending on the year) Really not a bad little acoustic especially considering you can grab them at bargain basement price. The one I putzed around with had a really cool looking dalmation pickguard.

thank you guys .

I know the word about Gretsch acoustics is bad ... but Jack's acoustic probably were custom made for him .

they sound really nice to me . @Nick yeah the US built electrics are expensive !!! Fuller's said that a classic 6120 was like 9 or 10 grand .

the one I think is with in reason is the Penguin that one is around 4 k .

thanks for the input

JC

Gretsch acoustics don't have a good reputation for tone at all. The first guitar isn't a White Falcon, which is the most eye-appealing hollow-body electric ever made in my humble opinion!!! A guitar highly favored by Stephen Stills and Neil Young. Here's a pic of a White Falcon...

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2401404805

Gretsch acoustics don't have a good reputation for tone at all. The first guitar isn't a White Falcon, which is the most eye-appealing hollow-body electric ever made in my humble opinion!!! A guitar highly favored by Stephen Stills and Neil Young. Here's a pic of a White Falcon...

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2401404805

Larry ,

as ZW said it's a Falcon Rancher =D . That is why I never stated the first guitar was a white falcon because those are electrics.

thank you anyway

JC

Yeah, Stills and Young did a lot of their early CSN&Y electric stuff on the White Falcons. Ohio might be the 2 of them and it couldn't sound better.

I tried new a one in a store some years ago. Sat in a booth slightly bigger than a telephone-box and played around with some pedals and an amp. It was fine – still a bit of a cream-cake though.

The acoustics I've met had nothing worth mentioning – how come they look so funky and sound so poor.

merseybeat1963Have to say I disagree with you on the Mother Natures Son clip. I've seen it before and remembered it as and now had to check again. Without being into White, I think he does it good. Very secure – imagine that small venue and huge audience so close up - still not too much. There is a nerve to the performance and though the guitar is very electro-metallic, it all hits the dna of the tune. Integrating the other early Macca-tune in the outro works fine for me also.

Your Board-pseudonym suggests you might be a huge (maybe first-wave) Fab-fan and as such could find it too loose barbed wired. What do I know.

But hey, look at Pauls response. Small series of indian-wooohs there. . . .

Yeah, Stills and Young did a lot of their early CSN&Y electric stuff on the White Falcons. Ohio might be the 2 of them and it couldn't sound better.

I tried new a one in a store some years ago. Sat in a booth slightly bigger than a telephone-box and played around with some pedals and an amp. It was fine – still a bit of a cream-cake though.

The acoustics I've met had nothing worth mentioning – how come they look so funky and sound so poor.

merseybeat1963Have to say I disagree with you on the Mother Natures Son clip. I've seen it before and remembered it as and now had to check again. Without being into White, I think he does it good. Very secure – imagine that small venue and huge audience so close up - still not too much. There is a nerve to the performance and though the guitar is very electro-metallic, it all hits the dna of the tune. Integrating the other early Macca-tune in the outro works fine for me also.

Your Board-pseudonym suggests you might be a huge (maybe first-wave) Fab-fan and as such could find it too loose barbed wired. What do I know.

But hey, look at Pauls response. Small series of indian-wooohs there. . . .

My first thought when I saw it was..I wonder whats going through the Presidents head watching this guy doing this song.

I just sat through a minute of it and figure why bother doing it like the original..Ill listen to it again.

I took a third listen and hear the out of pitch vox as he turns that crucial dada da da da corner. Other details, f.x. in the guitar fails to cover the original, but I still like it.

The original – as we know carelessly played on a upside down D-28 - of course is unbeatable. That non material India voyage got some excellent material up in them all. And a new hyper gentle side. M N S is paramount – and whoever suggested the brass deserves a bottle of lotus flowers. Did you know Lennon wrote a song with a similar lyrical theme out there, which ended as an out-take. Yes, we're talking nothing but the later re-written, then released Jealous Guy.

Archived