Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hollowbody

Bluesman J

I received this Guitar from a deceased relative,before I put it up for sale I need the groups expertise to ID Real or Fake. I have no paper work just Guitar and Case,Black hard shell (logo?)gold lettering. Gibson Custom Art Historic since 1894. Combination lock on case never set (still has what looks like a rubber piece in lock) Email me I will send pics.

Thanks in advance

stretrader99z@yahoo.com

Look on back of headstock for serial number... Look for a paper label 'inside' if it's a hollow body. Does it say "Gibson" Does it say "The Gibson" ...is it a Gibson/Epiphone/Guild/or?????. I would love to research a "closet special" like you are attempting to describe. Good Luck.

I would love to research a "closet special" like you are attempting to describe.

What????.... "attempting to describe"?

The only thing the OP describes is the CASE........ Would you like to research the case?

The only thing the OP describes is the CASE........ Would you like to research the case?

Legend has it we are so good at this we can tell if it is real or fake before the case is opened.

The case is NOT authentic....The handle is not period correct, the curves are common to cheap fakes, and the stitching is a dead giveaway as a fake.......

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fake.

It is also a forgery, and these are made and marketed often in an attempt to fool others into believing it is a genuine Gibson.

They can be bought "new" illegally for very little money, but the used value is lower than what one would expect because 1) the market is flooded with poeple that have been ripped-off and/or trying to sell them as real Gibsons, and 2) dealers will not take them in trade because they can't legally sell them due to some of the "forgery" details.

Removing the seriel number, the "made in USA" stamp, and the "Gibson" logos and markings would actually help to increase the value to about 200 dollars or so which is more like what the quality of the guitar is compared to other non-Gibson brands made in China or elsewhere. (Perhaps slightly less than Epiphones sell for). As it is now, the value is problably about 50 bucks.

Archived