Gibson Brands Forums

Lap steel guitar

fretplay

I have just got myself a lap steel guitar, not as easy as it looks but then what is!

However I have a small problem. The jack fits into a port on the top of the guitar, so the highest point on the right and gets in the way of my right hand as of course the jack stands up. Any members have ideas round this?

Welcome to the

'Those who Dig Lap Steels'

Club

I have a similar issue...somehow it doesn't seem to get in the way too much

The other option is to use a right-angle jack to lie as low as possible...

Happy Lapping... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Thanks Versatile, A right angle jack, never thought of that, in fact I have got one but the cable is too short. I'll be up and running next week. lap steels seem to be getting popular Wunjo in Denmark street has a great selection of them, even set a room off for obscure guitars.

Cheers fretplay...

Lap On !!

There have been threads before which have proved informative and enthusiastic...

Various tuning options and techniques...fingerpicks, tone bars etc

Lap-Steel turns up in diverse places...innumerable country and blues players...Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin et al

Another personal 'wrinkle'...consider a compressor to get some extra sustain...and even an in-line volume swell pedal

Borrowed from Pedal Steel...well applicable to Lap...

V

Cheers fretplay...

Lap On !!

There have been threads before which have proved informative and enthusiastic...

Various tuning options and techniques...fingerpicks, tone bars etc

Lap-Steel turns up in diverse places...innumerable country and blues players...Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin et al

Another personal 'wrinkle'...consider a compressor to get some extra sustain...and even an in-line volume swell pedal

Borrowed from Pedal Steel...well applicable to Lap...

V

Thanks for your help Versatile.

I have ordered a right angle jack so will be up and running mid week. Whats a compressor? I know about compression in recording, is it an effects box?

What kind of tone bar are you using, I have a round one like a cigar but it rolls around in my fingers. I was thinking a straight one would be better. What are you using?

Thanks for your help Versatile.

I have ordered a right angle jack so will be up and running mid week. Whats a compressor? I know about compression in recording, is it an effects box?

What kind of tone bar are you using, I have a round one like a cigar but it rolls around in my fingers. I was thinking a straight one would be better. What are you using?

As mentioned...compression is used in several ways, both live and in the recording process...for instruments and vocals

There are many guitarists' compressors, either built in to modern amps' FX circuits, multi FX pedals or single stomp boxes

I use a Boss ME 70 multi or a stand alone Boss CS-3

Tone bars are down to personal preference, some players like the plain circular bar type, others the 'grip' style cutaway type

I started with a plain bar then moved to a Shubb SP2 (Shubbs are iconic and come in various weights, lengths etc)

In the UK rothesaymusic has a full range of steel accessories and strings...

V

I've had a metric ton of them over the years. Currently own a 1948 Supro:

sup2.jpg

and a couple months ago I swapped a rifle for a 1953 Magnatone covered in gray pearl. I don't use them much but everyone needs to have at least one for when the mood strikes.

I've had a metric ton of them over the years. Currently own a 1948 Supro:

sup2.jpg

and a couple months ago I swapped a rifle for a 1953 Magnatone covered in gray pearl. I don't use them much but everyone needs to have at least one for when the mood strikes.

I have a Supro very much like this. I was told it's mid fifties. Is there a serial number anywhere or are you dating it by the style?

Archived