Gibson Brands Forums

Cleartone Strings

Joe M

There was a new, unopened set of these strings in the case of a used guitar I just bought so I thought I'd try them on one of my Martins. I was surprised at how good they sounded. I posted this on a couple of other forums and got nothing but negative remarks about how brittle and tinny and thin they sounded. I'm beginning to doubt my own hearing.

Anyway, I've not become a Cleartone convert but I wondered if anyone has anything positive to say about the strings, or have I really lost it.... [confused]

My OO-15 came with Martin lifespans which are basically Cleartones with Martin branding. They sound superb on the Martin, while only pretty good on the Gibsons.

So I'm staying with these on the Mart while using other strings on the Gibbys like Pyramids and Sunbeams.

Overall I rate these strings quite high.

EA

I asked for best strings the guy had in an Acoustic Guitar Specialty shoppe & he gave me those ($16.95 plus tax I think they were) so theres an experienced guy that felt they were the best.

I felt they were a bit thicker than the same guage I was used to. My fleeting impression was they sounded good.

My OO-15 came with Martin lifespans which are basically Cleartones with Martin branding. They sound superb on the Martin, while only pretty good on the Gibsons.

So I'm staying with these on the Mart while using other strings on the Gibbys like Pyramids and Sunbeams.

Overall I rate these strings quite high.

EA

What strings and guage do you find work best with your SJ-200? Thanks EA

For me DR Sunbeams 12-53 deliver a tone that is right shade of light and warmth.

You are probably actually using Sunbeam mediums, which are .012-.054 rather than the .012-.053 of most "light" string sets. The slightly heavier low E is just enough to give a bit more bass presence on some guitars. I have a set of these on my J-45 now, and really like them, although the greater flexibility of the round-core Sunbeams is giving me a bit of string buzz when flat-picked with a thicker pick.

You are probably actually using Sunbeam mediums, which are .012-.054 rather than the .012-.053 of most "light" string sets. The slightly heavier low E is just enough to give a bit more bass presence on some guitars. I have a set of these on my J-45 now, and really like them, although the greater flexibility of the round-core Sunbeams is giving me a bit of string buzz when flat-picked with a thicker pick.

Yes, that's right Nick. DR has a strange coding which they classify as mediums even though they are traditional light gages, except the E string, which I actually didnt realise was .54. Now it makes sense, as I always felt a bit more bottom end punch on my Gibbys with the Sunbeams. Great strings.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Martin Lifespan 80/20 lights with CLEARTONE coating on my AJ Mahogany for about a month now. I am very pleased with both the sound and longevity of the strings tone.They are expensive but so far I am satisfied with them, and expect to continue using them based on the month they have been on. I play about an hour to two hours every day, and so far they sound and look, almost like new after a month. Based on their performance and tone so far, I do not expect to change them out for another month or so. This makes them worth the extra expense for me. I want strings that sound GOOD and last LONG. These seem to be working!

I really like the Martin LifeSpan strings with the Cleartone coating. These have the .054 6th E string. The last sets I had on my guitars lasted over 3 months, I have 3 main acoustics and rotate them weekly, I play about an hour a day give or take with a bit more on weekends. Since I don't play any individual guitar that much it is great to have strings that don't tarnish if the guitar sits in its case for a week while it is out of the rotation.

Yes I rotate my 5 guitars as well. It is wonderful to be able to keep them ALL play ready in an instants switch and sounding good. Martin lifespan and elixir both work well for this, and both seem to last about 3 months. I have even restrung one of my guitars with Elixir then put it in the case for an entire year..upon playing it once more..the strings were absolutely as fresh sounding as it they have been put on 5 minutes before.

I really like the Martin LifeSpan strings with the Cleartone coating. These have the .054 6th E string. The last sets I had on my guitars lasted over 3 months, I have 3 main acoustics and rotate them weekly, I play about an hour a day give or take with a bit more on weekends. Since I don't play any individual guitar that much it is great to have strings that don't tarnish if the guitar sits in its case for a week while it is out of the rotation.

Totally agree on the Martin Lifetime strings. Used to use Gibson strings but they don't last long. The Martins sound great and last a couple months.

Archived