Gibson Brands Forums

Richard Gere's guitar collection

Rabs

He has a place about a mile west of me,

Buys his beer at the corner store like everyone else around here.

He's a pretty normal sort,

With what seems to be impeccable taste in guitars. Anyone know, did he auction off the collection, or was this some sort of display? Great to see G.E. Smith there, I've always been a fan.

I think that National, or one like it, may have been on Pawn Stars. Loved the '62 SG. Wish they would have played or commented on that one. Rich Gere boring? You guys are looking at him from the wrong perspective!! [rolleyes]

GuitarsAnn

Explain?

Yeah... I though he expressed a pretty healthy knowledge, understanding and passion about the instruments.

Now about the Albert King Flying V..... Albert was from St. Louis (so am I). One afternoon (mid-70's probably) I walked in to a local music store. They were a "showroom" dealer, not a vintage guitar shop, but sometimes had some pretty nice "trade-ins" on the used guitar rack (I had found my 1960 Strat and my 1964 Firebird there).

They said "oh man, you just missed Albert King."

I said "what was he doing in here?"

"He was trying to sell his Flying V."

"The custom made one, or the Gibson".

"THE GIBSON!"

"How long ago was this? I asked.

"about a half hour ago."

I went running out of the store to see if he might still be hanging out in the parking lot or something. No Albert in sight. So I missed owning that guitar by about 30 minutes. It probably could have been had for $500-1000 at the time.

^^^All of those nice guitars and he plays a MIM Strat? :-"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But seriously, collectors, collectors that play, or players that collect don't bother me one bit,

I am some of you think these guitars are not in the right hands but...

Albert King's familiy had his V refinished #-o ...now that isn't the right hands that's for sure

^^^All of those nice guitars and he plays a MIM Strat? :-"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But seriously, collectors, collectors that play, or players that collect don't bother me one bit,

I am some of you think these guitars are not in the right hands but...

Albert King's familiy had his V refinished #-o ...now that isn't the right hands that's for sure

That guitar was probably handed to him when he jumped onstage for whatever this was....

Archived