Gibson Brands Forums

What Was The First Concert You Ever Attended?

ModalMood

Nope no acid my parents watched us pretty close (me and a sister 1 year older) although I was pretty well stoned from all the second hand marijuana smoke i'm sure. My parents were big deadheads and we saw them 10-15 times before I was 16 so acid wan't tota;;y unknown to me as a kid but not at 9. It was a strange childhood especially with a dad that was a diver. We couldn't afford much since the military pay wasn't high back then I always knew when we were broke because we ate lobster, scallops and fresh fish my dad could spear. Lobster was a meal that meant we were dead broke and a Big Mac well that meant it was payday in our household? weird how things take take on strange perspective like that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has come up before...... not counting the times my parents too me to The Garden Of Allah for C&W shows, my first concert with major artists was The Rivinigtons in Everett, WA about 1963 or 1964.

The first concert with major artists I ever played in was The Turtles, in San Leandro, probably 1966.

Sorry. I didn't realize. I searched and didn't find anything.

It's okay..... I was happy to respond...

There hasn't been many topics in here I'm interested in responding to, and this is always an interesting one......

Now even a MORE interesting one would be the BEST concert you've ever attended!

In my case (aside from said Zep concert) it would be Midnight Oil at the Spectrum in Philly in 1989.

I attended the Beatles concert at Candlestick, a couple of Stones concerts, a couple of Yardbirds concerts, a couple of Paul Revere concerts, a couple of Van Morrison, (THEM), concerts, a couple of Buffalo Springfield concerts, many Tower Of Power concerts, The Byrds, Leaves, Chambers Brothers, Animals, Grassroots, Doors, Sons Of Champlin, Bobby Fuller 4, BB King, The Vejtables, Mojo Men, Beau Brummels, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Jr., Joan Baez, Paul Butterfield, Jefferson Airplane, Janic Joplin, LOVE, and probably several dozen more I'm forgetting...... then best..... George Jones..... hands down......(but that's probably only because I never got to see Ray Charles live).

I attended the Beatles concert at Candlestick, a couple of Stones concerts, a couple of Yardbirds concerts, a couple of Paul Revere concerts, a couple of Van Morrison, (THEM), concerts, a couple of Buffalo Springfield concerts, many Tower Of Power concerts, The Byrds, Leaves, Chambers Brothers, Animals, Grassroots, Doors, Sons Of Champlin, Bobby Fuller 4, BB King, The Vejtables, Mojo Men, Beau Brummels, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Jr., Joan Baez, Paul Butterfield, Jefferson Airplane, Janic Joplin, LOVE, and probably several dozen more I'm forgetting...... then best..... George Jones..... hands down......(but that's probably only because I never got to see Ray Charles live).

This is not an attempt to one-up you or anyone else. You clearly have me beat with The Beatles, The Yardbirds, Them, Byrds, Doors, Airplane, Janis and others =P~. But you got me thinking about my concert memories. I saw Bowie in 76 & 78 & 80. The Who in 76 & 79, Tull in 75. Steely Dan in 74 (Pretzel Logic tour right before their long live hiatus. We sat front row center. The tickets were a Bar Mitzvah gift.), The Dead in 73 (and many other times), Elvis Costello's country show at the Palamino Club here in LA,as well as the Armed Forces show that same week in 78, REM in 83, Gang of Four in 83, The B-52's in 79, The Stones in 75 (and about five other times), Eric Clapton at the House of Blues in 96...

My most memorable concerts.

This is not an attempt to one-up you or anyone else. You clearly have me beat with The Beatles, The Yardbirds, Them, Byrds, Doors, Airplane, Janis and others =P~. But you got me thinking about my concert memories. I saw Bowie in 76 & 78 & 80. The Who in 76 & 79, Tull in 75. Steely Dan in 74 (Pretzel Logic tour right before their long live hiatus. We sat front row center. The tickets were a Bar Mitzvah gift.), The Dead in 73 (and many other times), Elvis Costello's country show at the Palamino Club here in LA,as well as the Armed Forces show that same week in 78, REM in 83, Gang of Four in 83, The B-52's in 79, The Stones in 75 (and about five other times), Eric Clapton at the House of Blues in 96, the aforementioned Zep in 72...

My most memorable concerts.

You don't have to worry 'bout 'on-upping' me!

My point is that of all those "heavy hitters"... George Jones blew them all away!

I'm told I did a show with The Who, but I don't recall it...and I'd think I'd remember those guys!

Another guy who blew away the competition was John Sebastian, (post Lovin' Spoonful). Guy was simply a master showman.....

On my own, Kansas played at the UofI in Urbana, IL.

What a waste of time. After they played "Dust in the Wind," me and my buddy split for Pizza Hut.

The tickets were free, so I wasn't out much.

Kansas was a waste of time? Geez, tough crowd. Though a decent enough song for top 40, Dust in the Wind wasn't remotely their best work because, like Rush and other marginalized bands, their best work wasn't "singles" material.

My first concert was Edgar Winter Group and Electric Light Orchestra in Junior High.

And speaking of "Junior High", what's that funny smell [confused] ?

Archived